Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Devices & Printers will not populate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 simrick

simrick

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

Hi.

I have a Win 8 (not 8.1) 32-bit installation and I can not get the devices and printers box to populate. The green bar across the top just keeps running. At times I can stop it, after a while, and I might see "2 devices" noted at the bottom, but nothing in the window. When it tries to populate, explorer.exe uses up to 99% of my CPU. I've run sfc /scannow a few times, always getting "Windows resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". I even booted into safe mode, and it still won't populate. I've read a few posts on the web that said to enable bluetooth, which I did, even though I don't have any BT devices, but that made no difference.

I just don't know what else to do. In order to access my printers, I have to go into Print Management. All my printers show there, and, of the ones I've tried, they still work - I can print to them from any program.

TIA for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 simrick

simrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Anyone? Please?

#3 ramsforever

ramsforever

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

Go to Services and make sure Print Spooler is started

#4 simrick

simrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

Go to Services and make sure Print Spooler is started

Thank you. Yes Print Spooler is running. Stopped and started - made no difference.

#5 simrick

simrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:12 AM

Well, this is driving me nuts, so I am hoping someone will have some more ideas for me. Here's what I have done so far:

MBAM

MBAR

ESET online scan

AdwCleaner

sfc /scannow

msconfig - hide all MS and disable the rest

boot into safe mode

Nothing works!

One other thing I have noticed - when in MSWord 2013, if I change the font, or the size of the font, the program will lag, and then I get a "not responding" and then it finally kicks back in and works. Not sure if this is related or not. I did do a repair on Office, which caused me to have to activate the Office software again (not happy about that MS!).

I just don't know what else to do.  

Edited by simrick, 13 March 2015 - 01:13 AM.

#6 gduryee

gduryee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

I am having the same problem.  Devices and Printers takes forever to find anything.  If I wait longenough it will come up with a list which includes a bunch of media devices along with the real list of devices.  Device manager also runs slow but is much faster than Devices and Printers.  The network printer seems to work ok but I can't get to the print control page. 

I too have run anti-virus and malware detection software with no detections.  The PC seems to be running properly otherwise. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users