Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debian Live Disk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

I booted a Debian Live disk and no matter what i choose to use  486 or 686 with or without failsafe option. I get this and a blinking "shift key"

Initramfs unpacking failed: Junk in compressed archive.

Kernel Panic - not syncing: No init found. Trypassing init= option to kernel.

There is more text after that if needed.

Anyone know what this means or what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

There is more text after that if needed.

If there is more text then tell us what it is, I am not into guessing games.

Is this one of the machines that oneof4 is helping you with?

Possible bios hack any many other issues.

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:
  •     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu, 11 January 2015 - 07:03 PM.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Hi bwrighttwo.

We could use some further information from you so that we know where to start.

This from Kaosu's article, Pinned on the Linux & Unix front page:

Verify Your Installation Image
A corrupt installation image might install the distribution, but you will have nothing but issues as you begin to use the system. Verifying your installation image (typically .ISO) before copying it to a CD/DVD/USB will ensure that your installation will function properly and has not been tampered with by a malicious third-party.

When you download your installation image, there will typically be a file located in the same directory with a list of verified hash values for the available images. You may use this file to verify the integrity of your installation image by comparing the supplied hash values against your own generated hash value of the downloaded image(s).

Most distributions will come with md5sum already installed, so that is what we will be using in the example below:

Once you have downloaded the image and obtained the hash information, you may verify the integrity of the image using md5sum with the following terminal command:

md5sum /path/to/debian-7.6.0-amd64-CD-1.isoThe program should output a hash value of 7b9b0ffa5248f8c547b36d5575e63025, since that was the value found in MD5SUMS. However, if the hash value is anything other than what you found in the MD5SUMS (or similar) file, the installation image should not be used.

You may also use a program called WinMD5Sum to verify the hash values if you’re using Windows as your operating system.

and also from there

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

... then we will be off to a good start.

If you are unable to access your system specs through Linux, you can get them in Windows 7 using msinfo32.exe, video here

Once you are working with Linux, you can get the specs using "hardinfo", which if not already installed can be done through your Software Manager/Centre

You may wish to add these details to your profile and/or signature, as you can see I have done, then these details are always available to us

Good luck

:wizardball: Wizard

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

BTW that link from Kaosu gives me a 404 error

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/ gives some options

:wizardball: Wiz

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

I remember getting a kernel panic and the solution was using a different kernel. don't think you can do that with a live disk though. you can try to remaster the disk.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#6 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

Not sure where to start with all of that input. I am truly grateful as it seem as most of my questions lately get very little.

I will start with Nick. Hope all is well on the other side of the Equator.  I suppose I assume that when I post on another board everyone sees those posts as well. I then assume you all know my history.  My fault......  To answer your question Nick,,,,Yes,,,, It is the last machine "oneof4" helped me with,,,,Although,,,,,it has been formatted and re-installed with W7 Home Prem. SP1. Just out of curiosity I ran a "Debian Wheezy" live disk. This disk has run on this and other machines in the past. I had nerver gotten these results before. I will now post the rest of the boot log.

Meant another topic,,,,not board,,,SORRY!

Edited by bwrighttwo, 11 January 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#7 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

bmike,  If I could get that far. I would change the kernel version.  Thanks for the input and your time.

#8 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

As for the "man behind the curtain"(wiz of oz),,,LOL..... I will also now give you as much info as I possibly can.    You must all understand that one of my problems has been "copy and Paste". That said ,,,,,I will try again as this is the most attention I have had to this point. Thanks for your time and interest, Buck

#9 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hey Nick........I am gonna bet you use an "U nbuntu" based distro. Am I right?

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

If you really need Debian try Mint Debian edition. Otherwise install Mint 17.1  http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php.

17.1 is based off of an Ubunbtu version while the debian is based off of Debian. but ubuntu is based off debian as well.

Edited by bmike1, 11 January 2015 - 08:57 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#11 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

I have tried Mint 13/15/17. Not 17.1 yet. I have not tried a Mint Debian version. Thanks for the info. Where can I download a live version?

#12 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Here is the rest of what was logged during "Debian Live disk run.

Pid: 1, comm: swapperNot tainted 3.2.0-4-486 #1Debian 3.2.57-3

Call Trace:

[<c1280f7a>] ? panic+0x4d/0x139

[<c13cd6d8>] ? start_kernel+0x311/0x311

more to come.

#13 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

[<c127fdd5>] ? init_post+0x9a/8x9a

[<c13cd7ed>] ? kernel_init+0x115/0x115

[<c1289446>] ? kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0xd

That's it.

Stalled at this point.

Edited by bwrighttwo, 11 January 2015 - 09:15 PM.

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

Where can I download a live version?

Likely from where you downloaded the others, I hope? http://www.linuxmint.com/ - go there, run your mouse over Download, then click Linux Mint Debian directly beneath it.

Let us know where you will be downloading to, eg Windows or Linux, so that we can run an integrity check.

BTW I would suggest the Mate version, to begin with, over the Cinnamon choice - lower resource issues, will "fly" better.

:wizardball: Wiz

#15 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

Yeah,,,,I think someone else said that about the 13 version(cinn). I only used it a few times when it was the latest. I switched to Mate right after my first try.

Edited by bwrighttwo, 11 January 2015 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users