Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Beeps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:07 AM

Specs: Soyo computer, Via bios, Athlon 2.3g, 640meg Ram. All electronics on motherboard.
Symptom: Power up, hard drive runs. No display. No beeps.
Mfr suggestion: Disconnect everything; cards, ram boards... everything but the speakers and reboot. They wanted to know what I hear when I do that. I don't hear anything. They say this indicates either a microproccor error or a bios failure.

If it is the microprocessor or the bios chip I will replace the motherboard and be done with it. My question is, could it be the power supply? I can easily test +5V and +12v, and they are present. Is there a way to test the other voltages coming from the power supply? I tried unplugging the cable to the motherboard, but there must be a connector-interlock - I didn't even get the +5V.

If you were me and were ready to shotgun this thing, how would you proceed? Keep in mind that it is my wife's computer and it has been down for over a week. My main priority is to get it up and running as fast as possible. I hate to spend the money for a new motherboard and CPU and then find out that it was the PS all along.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

On a regular ATX power supply you must jumper the green conductor (pin 14) to any black conductor (ground) in the 20 pin ATX connector to get the power supply to turn on.

Edited by just me, 22 June 2006 - 09:53 AM.

#3 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, justMe,
I don't know the pin-order that the connector pins out, but if it pins out this way as you look into it::

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 (Does this make sense?)

IT reads out this way.
1. +3
2. +3
3. gnd
4. +5
5. gnd
6. +5
7. gnd
8. +5
9. gnd
10. +12
11. +3
12. -12
13. gnd
14. jumper
15. gnd
16. gnd
17. gnd
18. -4.5
19. +5
20. +5

Does that look right? If it does, here goes the motherboard.

Edited by KermitD, 22 June 2006 - 02:02 PM.

KermitD

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

At least 1 RAM module must be installed in order to boot to any point. The most likely causes for failure are, in order, are: power supply, ram, motherboard, video card, CPU.

In order to test the power supply rails the power supply has to have some kind of load such as will happen when it is plugged into the motherboard.

Did you test the 3.3 volt rail ?!!

#5 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

KermitD:

There is a pin map and other info here:The easiest way to see if the problem is the PSU is to replace it. I got the impression that you have more that one PC. It's a pain but borrow the PSU from one PC to test the other if the Wattage is sufficient.

Edited by just me, 22 June 2006 - 04:37 PM.

#6 KermitD

KermitD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

Thanks, everybody,

It was the power supply. I bought a new one (350W) for 35 bucks and it was like magic.
Thanks again.
KermitD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users