Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Consumer Cellular

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

As a member of AARP I have been getting circulars from a company called Consumer Cellular, (its not only for AARP members), very inexpensive, has anyone here tried it? Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 January 2015 - 07:46 PM.
moved from Internet & Networking-Service Providers to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

Wife has had a Consumer Cellular account for several years.  She has been very happy with the service.  

I've seen complaints from others that had bundled services previous to having Consumer Cellular and they complained about Consumer Cellular charging more for each service they(customer) added.  All I could think was "well... imagine that."

Something else about Consumer Cellular, you can upgrade or downgrade your plan(including the phone) at any time, the fees will change accordingly.  There is no contract so you can cancel at any time if you wish.

One thing though, you will want more than just the basic plan as about the only thing it's good for is emergency calls.

Basically, you pay for what you get and don't pay for what you don't want.

#3 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

Wife has had a Consumer Cellular account for several years.  She has been very happy with the service.  

I've seen complaints from others that had bundled services previous to having Consumer Cellular and they complained about Consumer Cellular charging more for each service they(customer) added.  All I could think was "well... imagine that."

Something else about Consumer Cellular, you can upgrade or downgrade your plan(including the phone) at any time, the fees will change accordingly.  There is no contract so you can cancel at any time if you wish.

One thing though, you will want more than just the basic plan as about the only thing it's good for is emergency calls.

Basically, you pay for what you get and don't pay for what you don't want.

Thanks, Out of curiosity what plan does your wife use?

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

Well, she just dropped to the "Anywhere 600"+"Connect! Ready 1000/100MB Text/Data" plan from the "Anywhere 1200"+"Connect! Ready 1000/100MB Text/Data" plan.

She first signed up several years ago when she became the manager of a local store and it was required that employees be able to contact her(24/7) no matter what.  Since then she has changed the plans around several times as necessary.

#5 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Thanks, I will look into the plans , Verizon for just my wife and I is about $180.00/Mo. and we are retired, don't really need to pay that for 2 cell phones.  

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

You can get Straight Talk cell phones for the two of you, unlimited talk, text & data for $45/month per phone, and the phones don't cost a fortune. Minute cards can be purchased at many retailers, or over the Internet. Just make sure when adding a card to add to reserve. Otherwise, you'll lose days if added early. How it works, is they purchase the service from local providers & resell the service. Unlimited data is full speed for the first 3GB, than slows afterwards, but no extra charges. 

In fact, if one or both of you can live with 1500 minutes a month, which is slightly over a day of the entire month & 100MB data, that's only $30 monthly (per phone). 

Both cards has local & 911 taxes added at the time of purchase. 

I use a TracFone, which is by the same corporation, where a card has to be added every 90 days, but don't use a cell phone much anymore, so 200 minutes that doubles, since I have a double minute phone, is plenty for me. 

Verizon for just my wife and I is about $180.00/Mo. and we are retired, don't really need to pay that for 2 cell phones.  

That was a bit too much for me back when I was working. Like I stated, one cannot beat the value of Straight Talk, if offered in your area. Version even has a similar plan & you can bring your own device (such as a disconnected Verizon phone), it's $45/month here, and they also have these in major retailers. Though around here, Straight Talk has better reception, however it's like that everywhere, some brands are going to have better reception in different areas. 

You can beat that price......easily. 

http://sale.straighttalk.com/

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 15 January 2015 - 03:33 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 bikefixer

bikefixer

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:46 AM

Your best bet is too find a plan that is unlimited, or if you won't use phone much consumer cell will work.

Here are some company's that offer unlimited for reasonable price

simple mobile

team Mobile

Boost Mobile

straight talk

metro pcs

cricketwireless

you have to check if you can get service in your area.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

Verizon also has a $45 'unlimited' plan, and one can bring their older Verizon phone, or purchase the ones as low as $13.99 at major retailers. 

Most of the unlimited plans are in line with one another, as far as price goes, it's reception in a given area that counts the most. There are areas where one is an obvious better choice over the other. It's best to go online and view the map for local coverage, all the way to street address if possible, the reason being, the cell phone would be a backup emergency of the landline or VoIP goes out, one thing that few can tolerate is a phone that breaks up. 

There is always the chance that while the consumer of the service can hear incoming calls fine on their end, the one being talked to can't hear that person good. Could be the quality of phone, but more often, spotty coverage is the reason. It's that way where I live, especially in the months where there is heavy foliage on the trees. During winter months, this is less of an issue. 

If in doubt, ask a nearby neighbor what service they have & how it performs. Note that some of the services that bikefixer has listed above are resellers of big name providers, but the provider may vary from area to area. AT&T resells to a lot of 3rd party (no-contract) providers. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

As a member of AARP I have been getting circulars from a company called Consumer Cellular, (its not only for AARP members), very inexpensive, has anyone here tried it? Any advice appreciated.

Update, The wife and I have had Cellular for about 2 months the plan we have is $53/month, have 600 minutes, text can get internet, Have come nowhere close to using up any minutes,  so far extermely happy with this plan and the company, service people nice to deal with. 

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

durkinjt, glad to hear you're satisfied with what you have! :)

Just so happens, about 2-3 years back, when an AARP member, I received an invitation to get the same service. However, my cell phone needs of then & today are far less than when I was working, so am able to get by & then some with my TracFone service. I purchase a 200 minute card every 3 months for $32 from a trusted eBay seller, it doubles because I have a double minute phone, and there's always online promo codes for 40-100 bonus minutes to add. So I'm always running out of time before minutes. 

Every one of us has different needs, so there's no 'one size fits all' as to cell phone plans. I still feel that for those who doesn't want to be tied into a contract, yet needs a lot of talk time & not an expensive phone, the many $45 monthly plans is a great deal. No extra charges, except sales tax (most areas) and a small 911 surcharge. One can get started, including phone & first month of service for as little as $60-65 total. 

It's also great to hear a good review of the service, many are skeptical of these invitations. 

Good Luck & come back soon! :)

Cat

#11 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

durkinjt, glad to hear you're satisfied with what you have! :)

Just so happens, about 2-3 years back, when an AARP member, I received an invitation to get the same service. However, my cell phone needs of then & today are far less than when I was working, so am able to get by & then some with my TracFone service. I purchase a 200 minute card every 3 months for $32 from a trusted eBay seller, it doubles because I have a double minute phone, and there's always online promo codes for 40-100 bonus minutes to add. So I'm always running out of time before minutes. 

Every one of us has different needs, so there's no 'one size fits all' as to cell phone plans. I still feel that for those who doesn't want to be tied into a contract, yet needs a lot of talk time & not an expensive phone, the many $45 monthly plans is a great deal. No extra charges, except sales tax (most areas) and a small 911 surcharge. One can get started, including phone & first month of service for as little as $60-65 total. 

It's also great to hear a good review of the service, many are skeptical of these invitations. 

Good Luck & come back soon! :)

Cat

Thanks for the reply. Can you use an existing cell phone with your service? Do you know who the server is? My area has a problem with the Verizon reception.

#12 thomasjk

thomasjk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T network. You can bring your own phone if it is GSM. They give  a SIM card for free. Their customer service is all US based. We have had this service for a year now and have changed plans up and down as needed. If you need unlimited data this is not the service for you. We have 200 minutes and 1GB of data for $50.00.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:40 AM

We have 200 minutes and 1GB of data for $50.00.

That is a steep price to pay. Straight Talk offers unlimited minutes & texts, as well as more data per month for $45 monthly. There is even a scaled down version of 1500 minutes, the same number of texts & more data for $30 monthly. Which in a month, is still over 24 hours of talk time. 

One can go to any WalMart store in the US & beat that deal. Except areas where there is no service, and there are a few in the Midwest where there is no access, for anyone. 

Can you use an existing cell phone with your service? Do you know who the server is? My area has a problem with the Verizon reception. 

No, one must purchase a phone that's designed for TracFone service for this, and it's best to get a double minute phone, they're inexpensive. In this area, AT&T is the carrier, and in recent years has performed great, even in places where this wasn't so just 10 years back. Different areas may have other carriers, so it's best to check your region. Same with Straight Talk, they're both owned by the same parent company, as well as Net 10. They keep the brands different to force the consumer to purchase a new phone. Note that SIM card changes won't work & will trigger "bricking' of the devices after a set amount of time. There's a timer that they don't fully disclose the details of, it's to prevent 'jailbreaking' of their phones to work with non-approved services. 

My phone was $6.99, with a $4.99 shipping charge on Amazon, so for what I paid in 2012 & the phone is still going strong, I have zero complaints. It's a Samsung model. The local stores kept selling out of these at $10, so was forced to purchase online. Have had the TracFone service since 2010, chances will be when I add my next card, will be rolling over over 2,000 minutes. As long as I keep a card active, won't lose the minutes & if the phone goes, can transfer any left over (the ones from my prior phone were transferred to this one). There are inexpensive deals today. though it's been awhile since I've seen a new phone for $10 & I highly recommend not to purchase a refurbished unit. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B8P5L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My review of the product is the one dated June 12, 2012. Note that while there were some negative reviews of the phone, some didn't bother to see if would activate in their area, and for $6.99, what kind of camera does one expect? I bought a phone, not an AIO phone/camera & PC, and it meets my needs. If one wants more features, spend more cash. It does have a 4.5 Star rating with 80 reviews, so that's not bad. Rather than paying $31 + a 911 fee & sales tax for a 120 minute card locally, grab 200 minutes ones from eBay sellers for $32 shipped. 

I'm not paying a monthly cell phone bill, which since not working, can't afford. Neither do I pay monthly bills for landline service, have a NetTalkDuo modem that works with a wireless router, so have a yearly phone bill for less than what I once paid monthly for AT&T's monthly 'unlimited' plan. These are still sold online and at WalMart stores, the only catch is they're picky about routers. Those with Linksys routers will have the best shot at compatibility. 

Oh, and it's unlimited talk also, one gets a real phone number with a local area code & E911 service (mandatory during setup). One must have a valid street address recognized in their system to activate, and a year's service is included with the device, with a bill sent by email yearly. Mine was purchased when they were $79.99, they dropped to $49.99 a year or so later, during the holiday season a couple of years back, WalMart had 2-3 pallets of these in different places of the store, each easily holding 100 or more, the packages are small. The only time a computer need to be turned on is during setup phase. 

Most of the consumers who complains either has slow Internet service, 1Mbps upload is recommended, though it'll run fine of half that, or incompatible router. Download doesn't matter, there's many around here with the $14.95 Internet plan that's 2Mbps down & 1Mbps up using these devices & they work fine with great voice clarity. The few times when I had problems was when the router needed rebooting, of which a new dual band Linksys E4200 is on it's way. While the one I have has worked fine, I need a router with dual band and USB port to attach my non-wireless printer to share across the network. The E4200 is an older model, but plenty fast to carry 15Mbps up and 1Mbps down, and is on the list of routers that works best with the device, and many has reported those performance routers are as good as those of today, where 'AC' routers are the hype. Which sound great. Only thing is, that the average customer in this area has 20Mbps speeds, which cannot saturate a Wireless 'G' router. 

Newer models of the NetTalkDuo may work with newer routers, it's still best to check the list for the model purchased, and one model works off of the wi-fi signal from the router. 

So if one wants to save on talk plans, there's more than cell service to consider. Looking at the big picture can really save one a lot, enough to justify a speed upgrade for Internet service, if desired, or pay for a decent TV package, or perhaps best yet, save the cash for when needed. 

Hope that others can benefit from these same deals as much as I have. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users