Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting USB 3.0 on old computer & buying new hdd.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seppy50

seppy50

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

Hello guys,

My computer is a HP Pavilion Media Center m8120n with the video card of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE and an upgraded voltage supply of 600 W I believe. I have also bought an ssd and so I have no more of the sections left to put a drive in (1 ssd, 2 hdd, and 1 dvd read/writer). I've also upgraded my ram to 8gb and have bought a new tower and fans over the years.

My computer specs are here:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?calledBy=&ac.admitted=1395493034515.876444892.492883150&docId=emr_na-c01070924-21&docLocale

Motherboard:
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?calledBy=&docId=emr_na-c00916901-20&docLocale

So I was browsing some NCIX deals and I found this - http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=100168

And it got me thinking, is it possible to put this into my motherboard?

Also, since I do not have any more driver red plug in locations (sorry I'm not familiar with the terms) does that mean there's absolutly no other way to buy another hdd? And if there isn't and I end up buying a bigger hdd, when replacing an old hdd can everything be transferred smoothly (the hdds are not my C drive)?

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seppy50

seppy50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

Oh right, my bad, thank you.

Edited by seppy50, 11 January 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

The USB 3.0 card should work on the motherboard, BUT I think the only PCIe x1 slot (highlighted in red) in your machine is going to be blocked by the graphics card, which would be a problem.

tu9p9YM.png

You can add new external hard drives through a USB connection, and you can buy external USB caddies to convert an internal drive to an external drive if needed.  USB 3.0 is preferable of course, but USB 2.0 is fine for storage of files where speed is not that critical.  That is going to be the least hassle way of adding another drive.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 seppy50

seppy50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

The USB 3.0 card should work on the motherboard, BUT I think the only PCIe x1 slot (highlighted in red) in your machine is going to be blocked by the graphics card, which would be a problem.

tu9p9YM.png

Hmm, well the sale was ending so I bought it and have to pick it up at a local ncix store pretty soon. I'll see what happens and will return afterwards, thanks by the way.

#5 seppy50

seppy50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

tu9p9YM.png

Wait, would this solve my issue?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=290795009786

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Potentially it could yes.  You might have to get creative about where you mount the card though.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 seppy50

seppy50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:07 AM

Potentially it could yes.  You might have to get creative about where you mount the card though.

Alright thank you for your help, appreciate it. I went ahead and bought another usb 3.0 from ebay with an extender and I'm going to return the NCIX one so it'll take me a while to test this (1-2 months).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users