Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TDK USB trans-it not found

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nebulos

Nebulos

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

So, I have this TDK USB 8gb 2 years now. It worked fine until one day I coudn't open it. My computer just doesn't recognise it anymore or it's damaged. Physical damage isn't visible from the outside. When I insert it in first USB port (or any other) I get that beep sound whenever a new device is set. Also USB device enlights with blue light, the sign it is working. The computer starts installation and finish it with no problem. And thats it. 

I did find it on disk manager. It looks like this (sorry it's not on english)

m8gv83.jpg 

In general it doesn't say much. Manufacturer, number and description are not available.

Thanks guys in advance. I really need this USB back, the files on it are irrelevant. Is there any free tool or some trick to get this machine back on track?  :lmao:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Is the flash drive detected in Disk Management when attached?

#3 Nebulos

Nebulos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

There is no extra description beside name and "no media" text bellow. 

My computer is windows 8 pro, tried it on my sisters windows 7 too. Didn't work either.

Edited by Nebulos, 11 January 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

If you tried it on another computer and it was not detected either, I would say the flash drive is dead. You at least need the flash drive to be detected in order to either flash it with firmware or reformat it. If the files are irrelevant is there a reason you can't purchase another flash drive? I was just able to get a 16GB flash drive at Staples for $4.00.

#5 Nebulos

Nebulos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

The thing is I need it today, and it really has some sentimental value :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

Okay. I don't think you will be using that flash drive again if you cannot get a computer to detect it, sorry.

There is a possibility that linux would detect it but that is a long shot. You would need to download something like Puppy linux. It runs from disk and RAM. If you decide to boot it on the Windows 8 computer, you would need to disable Secureboot in bios.  It would probably be easier to do it on your sisters computer if you have access to that.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Burn the Puppy iso file by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. At the Puppy desktop attach the flash drive. A USB icon should appear on the deskiop. If it does not then the drive is probably dead. If it does appear you can try to format it again in Puppy using Gparted. If Puppy linux detects it post back and we can go through the steps on Gparted. The naming convention in linux is different and you have to be sure you are dealing with the flash drive. You do not want to reformat the hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 January 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#7 Nebulos

Nebulos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Oh those are some bad news.

I'm going to switch to linux actually. I have latest version of ubuntu on other USB. Is that suitable? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Yes that is suitable but I am don't think the Ubuntu Live DVD has the Gparted program. You should be able to see it the USB flash drive mounts though. When you attach it a USB flash drive icon will appear in the Unity Bar on the left.

#9 Nebulos

Nebulos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

Oki will do that. It's not worth more resource tho. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

It would be interesting to know if Ubuntu does detect and mount the flash drive. Please keep BC updated.

#11 Nebulos

Nebulos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

Nope, Ubuntu didn't recognise it either. That is gg for this USB then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users