Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent access issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Overseasoned

Overseasoned

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

This is a problem with my wired and wireless connection.

ISP is Verizon - FIOS

The routers are (in order)

• Verizon Modem/Router - Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D
  • Router - Linksys AC1200+ Model EA6350 (I was running a Cisco E2500, changed routers hoping the problem would go away. I'm also hoping to solve this in time to return the new one!)

This issue is happening on all computers connected to the network created by the second router in the series. The computers connected to the network on the first router/modem are having no issues.

Description - Internet has intermittent "access." The connection does not seem to have any issues, and it does not dis/reconnect when the issue occurs. The only noticeable symptom is a lack of internet access, meaning that no webpages load, and no information is sent or received.

I am also getting wildly varying speedtest results - when the connection is actually working I'm getting from ~30 to ~45 Mbps down / ~56Mbps up, but sometimes it drops to ~4/4 or less. Before this started happening I was getting ~56/56, which is what I should be getting.

I've tried doing the steps on this list, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Hopefully someone can walk me through this or find another explanation/solution. http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

I would completely disable the Verizon wireless router function and just use the Linksys one. Perhaps it is interfering with the Linksys causing the wireless connectivity issues.

As long as you set the Verizon IP range and then put the Linksys IP outside of that range you should be good as far as that goes.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

I agree completely disable the wireless function of the verizon modem/router.

The modemrouter should be connected to the WAN port on the Linklsys

Make sure you have the updated firmware for both- Make sure the clock is set correctly in the Linksys and when you log into the Linksys Router there should be a section where you can clone mac address of the wired computer. Do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users