Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Frequency Out Of Range

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trufflehunter

trufflehunter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

I have a widescreen monitor that runs best at 1600x1050 (maybe 1250?)

Anyway, i changed the resolution to 1600x1200 and it the monitor went black and said frequency out of range. I waited thinking in 15 seconds it would revert back to the old settings.

It didn't. So i restarted the computer thinking it would work. Nope. I tried the Use last settings that worked. It booted showed my desktop and everything. Acted like it was going to work then suddenly went black on me again and showed the out of range message.

The only thing I did before I attempted to change the resolution was I installed the latest nvidia drivers marked for vista beta 2. I dont think thats the problem because I have been using it a while with those drivers.

Whats strange is that after i booted using last known good settings is that it worked for a few seconds.

I also tried using my old CRT monitor but it does the same thing.
And I tried reverting back to the old drivers that came with the vista install.

Any ideas?

Is there a registry setting that i can change while in safe mode?

Edited by trufflehunter, 22 June 2006 - 08:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

Couple of things come to mind....

A) Do you have the Nvidia software loading on boot? (MSCONFIG)

:huh: Did you try to rollback the driver.

C) Uninstall and reinstall your Display Adapter from the Device Manager in safe mode. (Or AGP mode in Normal startup)
JU$T1N~1

#3 VistaReloaded

VistaReloaded

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

I have a widescreen monitor that runs best at 1600x1050 (maybe 1250?)

Anyway, i changed the resolution to 1600x1200 and it the monitor went black and said frequency out of range. I waited thinking in 15 seconds it would revert back to the old settings.

It didn't. So i restarted the computer thinking it would work. Nope. I tried the Use last settings that worked. It booted showed my desktop and everything. Acted like it was going to work then suddenly went black on me again and showed the out of range message.

The only thing I did before I attempted to change the resolution was I installed the latest nvidia drivers marked for vista beta 2. I dont think thats the problem because I have been using it a while with those drivers.

Whats strange is that after i booted using last known good settings is that it worked for a few seconds.

I also tried using my old CRT monitor but it does the same thing.
And I tried reverting back to the old drivers that came with the vista install.

Any ideas?

Is there a registry setting that i can change while in safe mode?

I had the same problem too the first day I installed Windows Vista Beta 2. I solved it by pressing F8 during boot and select reset video resolution or something like that and the monitor started working again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users