Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Blue Screens at 10-30 minute intervals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kid.lazer

kid.lazer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:09 AM

New member here! I have been to this site many times before and could fix my issues based on older posts, but this one has me totally stumped. I'm hoping you all can help me out.

Attached is a speccy snapshot of my system, as well as a simple Bluescreenview of the most recent dump.

Alrighty, so here's the story. I recently decided to change antivirus from AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials. I handle many PCs (about 10) for family and friends, so I did the same thing to each computer. While I was at it I updated drivers, defragged, clean out junk, etc. One computer has been giving me fits. Beforehand it was totally stable, so I know my recent changes are what ruined things. Approximately halfway through uninstalling AVG, I got a BSOD. Since then it has been incredibly unstable, blue screening at fairly consistent intervals. It will occassionally stay running for a few hours, but typically crashes after half an hour. I unfortunately didn't think to check any of the original dump files, nor did I get a chance to see the BSOD error before it rebooted. I've pretty much exhausted all of my options short of a format. I'm trying to avoid that, but I'm on the edge.

Things I've tried to fix it:

-Reinstall AVG

-Uninstall AVG and use the official AVG remover

-Remove all antivirus

-System restore to before the meltdown

-Reinstall latest GPU drivers

-Downgrade to known stable GPU drivers

-Run Memtest multiple times (all pass)

-Reseat all memory

-Scan with MSE and Malwarebytes

-Check harddrive for errors or bad sectors

-Replace HDD SATA cable

-Run SFC /scannow (no errors)

-Install an inplace upgrade of Windows 7

And that brings us to present. I'm hoping the wonderful folks here at BC can help. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

• Attached File  dmp.txt   2.1KB   5 downloads

Edited by kid.lazer, 11 January 2015 - 12:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Your dump file posts this:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This is a error that basically states there was a conflict but Windows cannot pinpoint where it is coming from. These usually are either failed hardware, or conflicting/corrupted drivers.

After reading the history you posted of the problem, I would guess to start with software/driver problems. Try restarting in Safe Mode without networking. If the computer boots properly into Safe Mode, then restart and try Safe Mode With Networking. If the computer boots properly and now you have internet access, Try to find something that was installed/changed on the same date your son had the computer.

If the computer will not boot into Safe Mode, that means most likely you have a hardware failure of some kind, OR the Windows OS is corrupted.

At least this will give you a start.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 kid.lazer

kid.lazer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

So even though it boots normally now, it's possible it won't boot at all into safe mode?

And no one would have made any changes to this computer. So I won't have to search for any recent changes other that what I've mentioned.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

it's possible it won't boot at all into safe mode?

You won't know until you try. So...try it. I was covering as many variables as possible; if you can boot normally but the system crashes occasionally, you should be able to boot into safe mode.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 kid.lazer

kid.lazer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

Alright, so I tried booting into safe mode with networking. Everything booted up and ran fine. After 10-15 minutes, dllhost.exe crashed. I checked the event viewer and Adobe CS4 Version Cue was to blame. I never use that part of CS4 (why I installed it at all, I have no idea) So i disabled teh service entirely and rebooted Windows normally. It ran fine for a few hours so I totally uninstalled Version Cue and a few other useless CS4 sevices (Drive and Device Central). It has been running fine for 12 hours now with no issue.

I'll be thoroughly thrilled if I indeed have the problem fixed, but I'm a little confused how this all ties together. I uninstall AVG, the PC crashes halfway through the uninstall, and removing bits of CS4 fixes it? Seems odd to me. If you can help shed some light on how they are related, I'd be very grateful.

Edit: *sigh* Nevermind... While it remained online for far longer than it has been, the issue is not resolved. Of course it would crash right after I post a resolution...

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit 2: I might be onto something! A remnant of AVG (AVGtpx64.sys filter driver) was still loading at startup. I noticed it in the event viewer after the latest crash. And it appears in every one of the dump files. I've removed it from Windows/system32/drivers, as well as all it's registry entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Currentcontrolset/services. We shall see how that makes things work.

Attached Files

Edited by kid.lazer, 12 January 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:21 AM

so I know my recent changes are what ruined things.

Ok, so we are on to something. Running two AV programs (even remnants of them) may cause conflicts. Get rid of all vestiges of AVG and let's see what happens. If you still crash, post back and we will take it further. You might try Revo Uninstaller (free); it is far more thorough than the Windows uninstaller. Revo offers a free 30 day trial and it is a full package.

#7 kid.lazer

kid.lazer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

So I started over with my wild goose chase by reinstalling all my software, pretty much duplicating all the steps I took before. Reinstall drivers, clean sweep of AV prgrams, etc... It still was crashing occasionally but then I got a new BSOD with code 1a, which is memory management. Everything has been pointing to RAM all along, but as I said before, I ran Memtest multiple times with no errors.

But I reluctantly ran memtest again. And this time I got an error. Just one, mind you, but I thought "now we're getting somewhere." So I pulled all 4 sticks and tested them individually. One stick consistently gets one single error on test #8, regardless of which slot it's in. So I pulled that matching set and am now down to 4GB RAM, but everything is now stable (for only a few hours, mind you, but I think this is it).

I'm working on sending the bad set back to Corsair for RMA now. That said, I'm totally baffled how unstable the system was, and yet it took foreeeeeeever for memtest to show me an error. I've never had RAM act that way; for me it's either been totally clean or hundreds of errors. But in the end it seems as though the initial crash while uninstalling AVG was pure happenstance as the RAM was beginning to fail. It did cause other issues like requiring some leftover AVG junk to be manally removed, but that was only a ripple effect from the main problem.

As final thought, this is the second stick of RAM to go bad in this computer over the course of approximately 2 years. Do you think it's possible the motherboard is responsible for it?

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Sonofagun, I was going to suggest that you run my favorite tester, Memtest86+ to verify, but then I thought I was being too picky. I also make it a practice to test each stick alone, although this is not required by the authors.  Well, congrats on finding the problem, enjoy your "new" computer! From now on, in my posts, I will advise all to test each stick separately!

BTW....the motherboard can't damage your memory; the closest thing to that would be a major power spike from a blackout or some such, but the mobo itself has no capability to damage your memory sticks. Actually, memory is one of the most common component failures.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 January 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#9 chaz69allen1

chaz69allen1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

I've burned up ram in a very early build.  Motherboard Ram slots were 1.65v, checked the voltage in BiOS and sure enough my cheap memory were the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users