Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor stopped working on one computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mwrmw9

mwrmw9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

I have two Win 7 computers, one a desktop and one a notebook. I had the monitor connected to the desktop and all was well until this morning when I left the computer long enough that it turned off the monitor (that's how I have it set). But the monitor wouldn't turn back on; the yellow no-signal light stayed on instead of turning to green. I turned the computer off then on but that didn't fix it. Here are the trouble shooting results:

- The monitor (and cable) works on the notebook.

- The desktop drives another monitor (in the shop where I bought the computer) just fine, using the same connector in the desktop.

- I replaced the monitor cable with another one. The monitor still gets no signal from the desktop, and also works fine on the notebook.

I'm running out of ideas...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,915 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

The desktop has a setting that is not allowing it to display properly.  Try disabling all the power save options in the BIOS.

#3 mwrmw9

mwrmw9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

The desktop has a setting that is not allowing it to display properly.  Try disabling all the power save options in the BIOS.

1. I can't do that because I can't see anything on the monitor with the desktop.

2. It worked find one minute, then stopped..

3. The disktop displays fine on another (tried one) monitor.

#4 mwrmw9

mwrmw9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

This morning I took the computer and monitor and cable to the shop where I bought the computer (not the monitor; I had that) a month ago. The tech that built the computer tested it and found the same behavior. He then noticed that my monitor cable was connected to the computer via an adapter, and suggested switching cable types to one that didn't requjire an adapter and plugged into a different connector on the computer. He did that and low and behold it worked. Why did it work for a month with the original cable and then stop workiong? He said he woulod have liked to have figured that out but he didn't. Who knows... Anyway, it's all back working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users