Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus protection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MKDALS

MKDALS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

Hi,
I am new to this forum and very green on the nuts and bolts of computers, thus the reason for joining.
I recently started getting notices that seems to imply I am using McAfee as my virus protection. I have checked and it appears as though I still am running AVG which I have used for the past 3 years. Do you know if AVG and McAfee are now in partnership or did McAfee slip some program in on my computer. Or is this something that is on my computer from 3 years ago. How do I find out?
thanks

mkdals

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 January 2015 - 07:59 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

I recall a friend of mine buying a laptop and computer a few years ago and they both came with mcafee but i recommended he downloaded Avast or AVG at the time as i'm not a fan of mcafee. So it could well be from when you bought the computer. IMO i would just keep AVG as it's not recommended to have 2 anti viruses running due to conflicts.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

Please download SecurityCheck from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Link 1
Link 2

• Ignore any warnings from your anti-virus if the tool is detected as a threat.
  • Double-click on SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box...Press any key to continue ...
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    securitycheck.jpg
  • SecurityCheck will then start scanning your system...be patient and allow it to finish.
  • If one of your security applications (i.e. firewall) requests permission to allow SecurityCheck to access the Internet, allow it to do so.
  • SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s)...leave the interpretation of log results to me.
  • A Notepad document named checkup.txt should open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of checkup.txt in your next reply.

Note: If you receive an "UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED!" message, just restart the computer and SecurityCheck should be able to run properly.

be aware that some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners may detect SecurityCheck as suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive" and can be ignored.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 MKDALS

MKDALS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Please download SecurityCheck from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Link 1
Link 2

• Ignore any warnings from your anti-virus if the tool is detected as a threat.
  • Double-click on SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box...Press any key to continue ...
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    securitycheck.jpg
  • SecurityCheck will then start scanning your system...be patient and allow it to finish.
  • If one of your security applications (i.e. firewall) requests permission to allow SecurityCheck to access the Internet, allow it to do so.
  • SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s)...leave the interpretation of log results to me.
  • A Notepad document named checkup.txt should open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of checkup.txt in your next reply.

Note: If you receive an "UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED!" message, just restart the computer and SecurityCheck should be able to run properly.

be aware that some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners may detect SecurityCheck as suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive" and can be ignored.

Thank You for your response,

I have run the security check and here are the results

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.93  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
AVG Internet Security 2014           
McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware   
 Antivirus up to date!   
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
 Java 7 Update 51  
 Java version 32-bit out of Date! 
 Adobe Reader XI  
 Google Chrome (39.0.2171.71) 
 Google Chrome (39.0.2171.95) 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 AVG avgwdsvc.exe 
`````````````````System Health check````````````````` 
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0% 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

Thanks again and I will check back for your interpretation and any instruction

Mkdals 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hi,
....it appears as though I still am running AVG which I have used for the past 3 years. Do you know if AVG and McAfee are now in partnership or did McAfee slip some program in on my computer. Or is this something that is on my computer from 3 years ago. How do I find out?

SecurityCheck confirms you have both AVG Internet Security 2014 and McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware. Most likely McAfee came preinstalled when you first purchased your computer. Many anti-virus and security vendors provide free trial versions of their products as part of a marketing strategy for generating revenue. This allows the user to receive the benefit of a fully working version for a limited time in order to experience all features and functionality. When the trial period expires, the user will have to either remove the software or purchase the full version in order to keep using the software. Since most folks know very little about computer security and anti-virus software, many tend to keep whatever they have. Thus, the anti-virus vendor recaps the cost of providing the trial version for free. However, with some security software, the trial version will revert to a more limited free version which they can continue to use.

You need to remove either McAfee or AVG. See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

The correct way to remove AVG is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove), reboot when done, and then run the AVG Remover tool.The correct way to remove McAfee is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove), reboot when done, and then run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR).Note: It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users