Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Why Can't "diskcopy" Be Used For Cloning Non-floppy Devices?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

On Windows there is a command called "diskcopy" for copying one floppy to another.

diskcopy A: B: /v

My understanding is that this is a sector based cloning tool, and so it should work for floppies, hard drives, ssds, and even cds/dvds. Yet, various sources on the net, including Microsoft, say that it can ONLY be used for copying floppy devices, and CANNOT be used for cloning hard drives. However no one ever explains why.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Two likely reasons come to my mind.

It's an old DOS command, hence is a 16 bit application, and will be written using 16 bit variables (holders of numeric values). Since it's specifically written to copy floppy disks, there will have been no reason to enable it to handle capacities beyond the number of sectors used by the largest capacity floppy disks, 2.88 MB

Also, it works with the FDD controller, which cannot access hard disk drives or optical media.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

Finally, my curiosity is satisfied. Thanks Platypus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users