Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4900MB of 8GB locked as "Hardware Reserved".

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

Pryed open my laptop and added a 4GB 1600mhz 1.5v stick to replace the 4GB 1333mhz stick I had put in before. Fit it all back in and now it just says only 3.21 GB is usable. I checked resource monitoir and it says that 4900MB is locked in "Hardware Reserve". The Bios only has options to change boot drive order and that's it- no IGP RAM allocation options or even stat stated for it.

Specs- it's a Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-521G-60BX). Swaped the regular drive with a soild state on day one (6 months ago) and installed W7 U x64. Has a A6-6310 and a R5 M240 1GB dedicated card (downclocked R5 M230 with less RAM). Came stock with one stick of 1600mhz 1.5V 4GB RAM. The chipset/APU only uses single channle- runs a max speed of 1866mhz, and can use both low and high voltage RAM.

Some other things that might contribute.

It's been acting really weird since I installed the AMD "Omega" drivers. Fails to run WEI succesfully since I did. Didn't bother to check RAM amount before installing those drivers a few days ago.  Might be the cause of it. I have all three APU, dedicated, and chipset drivers installed, up to date at "Omega", and other wise working with the exception that the dedicated card still dosen't have full driver support it seems.

Saw a random button on the motherboard, pressed it when it didn't want to fully boot (blank screen, power was going through the system, no noises were made)- didn't fix it or apear to do anything. Had the case apart at the time, but booted fine when it was all fit together again (saftey feature? My last one had a special grounding screw). Could not find any documentation about the button before I pressed it. Still haven't been able to find any info on it.

Apears to have no removeable Bios battery.

Pics~

mem_zps70e8397d.png

Graph_zps9a32513e.png

I forget the tool I'm supose to use for a system info dump (I'm an idiot :axe:), and the the windows NFO text file is 1.7mbs....

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2015 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Found the solution. The RAM was defective. Stuck it in a friends laptop and it did the same thing. Welp, gona have to send the stick to crucial now.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for sharing the solution with us. Substitution was always one of the most powerful fault finding techniques around !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

Check to make sure Windows isn't limiting available RAM to 4GB.

Run MSCONFIG, cick the Boot tab, click the Advanced Options button, make sure that maximum memory isn't checked.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Check to make sure Windows isn't limiting available RAM to 4GB.

Run MSCONFIG, cick the Boot tab, click the Advanced Options button, make sure that maximum memory isn't checked.

I did before I posted. Wasn't checked. Tried checking it and setting it to 8 anyways, but problem still pursisted. I stuck the other 1333 stick back in and it works fine using 8gbs.

Didn't think of the RAM being bad since 1- never actually had bad RAM before, and 2- It's Crucial RAM so I expected it to have been screened before being shipped out for sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users