Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best choice for 3.5" SSD (2.5" with bracket)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

I am looking to make an upgrade to my desktop. I have looked at reviews on many sites and I am more confused than when I started.

Topics included the speed ratings,choices of memory types.

Anyway, I like to hear real world experience from users. I can get a decent price on Kingston 250GB SSD, but others would suggest Samsung, Intel, Crucial or whatever.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

The fastest I've found is the Samsung EVO SSDs that support RAPID mode (basically RAM caching).

The important thing to look for to get an idea of how 'fast' an SSD is the 'IOPS', higher is better. The Kingston drive appears to be somewhere around 85k for read and 43k for write.

I've used Kingston, Intel, Samsung, Sandisk, and Crucial drives for builds and have been happy with all of them.

In my opinion, paying a lot more for a 'faster' drive usually will improve your load times etc. by only fractions of a second, just don't get a drive advertising 7,000 IOPS when you can get one that does 80,000 - 90,000.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

Best choice for 3.5" SSD (2.5" with bracket)

Depends on what you mean by best.

The most stable consumer SSD/s is Samsungs 3D NAND drive/s. They come with a 10 year warranty. Where as most will only do 2, 3, or 5 years max. Every part of them is made around the idea of long term stability. Not to fret about performance though as they still perform as well as other SSDs.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7KE128BW/dp/B00LF10L02

Speed wise, including all latency and max read/write measurments, (like Z said) the newest high end EVO drives from Samsung seem to be the best- on the regular consumer end. Really the differnce between them and everyone elses high performance (even their new low end stuff) SSDs is barely noticable at best for regular use. The only real varrying factor being stablilty.

However, unless the computer that's being upgraded has a SATA3 port- it'll waste any extra performance you dump into getting a high performance drive. The max read speed for most new SSDs is 550mbps, but on a SATA2 port it's capped to around 250mbps or 125mbps on a SATA1 port. If that's the case, then you'd be better off buying a lower performance SSD and then using the money you saved to buy a SATA3 PCI-e controller card to get the max performance.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

I would just like to add my support to the Samsung SSDs, they are great, fast reliable, and some come with a 3.5 bracket or you can buy one separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users