Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gpu problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sx1990

Sx1990

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hey all, I have a really odd problem. I'm trying to get my old system up and running again. I'll start at the beginning. I had a 9800gt running in my intel core 2 duo with a 500w power supply. After a few years the card started articating and now it's unstable. I purchased a new card which was a 9800gtx popped her in and nothing. I got no signal from my monitor. So thinking the card was naff I took it to my friends and asked to try it in his system to my surprise it worked. Now he suggest I upped my psu which I have and now have a 750w with 32amps on each rail. Installed it all and guess what? It's still not working. I'm stumped. I also have done a fresh install of windows, and currently running off onboard graphics. Also what's weird is if I put the old 9800gt in it gets the signal so I don't think it's a faulty PCI e slot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

Welcome,

I think that those cards require different drivers. My suggestion would be to delete the drivers for the old card, shut down, clear the BIOS[battery removal for about 15 seconds], reboot then get the new drivers.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Sx1990

Sx1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

The thing is I'm having to run the PC off onboard graphics and the machine can't even find the card in the PCI slot. Also I have noticed that the fan on my new psu isn't spinning?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

Sounds like one of the PSU cables isn't connected to the motherboard to power that buss  check all of your connections AND be sure the card is seated and locked in place

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Sx1990

Sx1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

ok well i went with a new system. Ive managed to get a signal out of it but now it just stops on the very first screen it comes to on pressing the on switch. American megatrends. Can't use keyboard to access bios its just frozen. I had to send my new PSU back to the shop as i noticed something inside was catching the fan slightly. Im using a 500watt with 2 rails of 18amps. If the card wasnt recieving enough power would it cause the system to freeze up?

#6 chaz69allen1

chaz69allen1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

I've had Gpu's in the past under powered, and when i would attempt games or even youtube it would crash to desktop or pc lock up.  Maybe this chart/diagram can help you walk the dog.  Also, if you disconnect the hard drives Sata cable you should be able to access BiOS to verify that onboard video is disabled.  You never know, those computer gremlins are always lurkin.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/video.htm

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

I too had this problem on a motherboard that wasn't necessarily ' top of the line ' Fact is .. it could be the motherboard simply cannot provide enough power ' to the slot '

I would check and make sure you have the most updated bios for your motherboard.  You can try clearing CMOS in hopes that it will then re-detect it.

Updating the bios and clearing CMOS does NOT always work.  And could raise more issues.  If your not familiar with this and or need this computer to work right away then don't do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users