Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

where/what to download Chrome browser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yesme2y

yesme2y

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

I got a brand new Lenovo last night, downloaded google chrome & ended up getting spammed w bleep, needless to say im not computer friendly, only thing I could do was system restore, & that was no fun,...

so where or how do I download Chrome browser to use instead of windows,, without getting all that BS that came with it last night?

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2015 - 12:08 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

You can download Chrome from here: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

Remember to uncheck anything and everything they offer along that you don't want.

#3 yesme2y

yesme2y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

looks like same one I downloaded last night, & there was nothing checked

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

Normally Google Chrome does not come with anything - if you ended up with toolbars or extra things when you install Chrome that means you got a bundled installer from another page.

If you need help with removing them, please start a topic in Am I Infected.

#5 yesme2y

yesme2y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Thank You, I did a smarter thing, made a restore point this time, & then did the download from page u posted, Yes that did it, I must have got a bad site last night  as I just typed n google chrome on explorer, & hit the first one that popped up,  now I just wish I was computer smart & know this stuff like U, my computer keeps telling me im not computer friendly :( lol

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Bleeping Computer has a lot of information in making friend with your computer :)

The site has a lot of tutorials which will help you.

You can start here: Simple tips to keep your computer safe online.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

remember when you search ,say google.com always check that the one you click on says official download site ,most all good legit software will have an official site to download from or there recommended site, but as Alexstrasza make sure to watch and uncheck any other bundled software when installing

Edited by caperjac, 10 January 2015 - 07:50 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:07 AM

Chrome - Google    << This is the link I selected
www.google.com/chrome/ .............. A browser that combines a minimal design with new technology designed to improve the user experience. Includes download and documentation.

Now from the actual (original) site where you should download Chrome, NOTE that a *FEW* of the conditions are listed below >>

This is about one hundredth of the actual terms stated that you Fully agree to, since I only picked a few highlights from items.

Adobe Programs seem to be one of their main partners that you agree to (by default) but not the only one ................

You acknowledge and agree that Google (or Google’s licensors) own all legal right, title and interest in and to the Services, including any intellectual property rights which subsist in the Services (whether those rights happen to be registered or not, and wherever in the world those rights may exist).
Unless you have agreed otherwise in writing with Google, nothing in the Terms gives you a right to use any of Google’s trade names, trade marks, service marks, logos, domain names, and other distinctive brand features.

Advertisements
Some of the Services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the Services, queries made through the Services or other information.
Google operates a trade mark complaints procedure in respect of Google’s advertising business, details of which can be found at http://www.google.com/tm_complaint.html.
In consideration for Google granting you access to and use of the Services, you agree that Google may place such advertising on the Services.
The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the Services are subject to change without specific notice to you.
The Services may include hyperlinks to other web sites or content or resources. Google may have no control over any web sites or resources which are provided by companies or persons other than Google.
You acknowledge and agree that Google is not responsible for the availability of any such external sites or resources, and does not endorse any advertising, products or other materials on or available from such web sites or resources.

PLUS ........... Set Google Chrome as my default browser (pre-checked)
"AND Optional" (un-ticked but offered) - Help make Google Chrome better by automatically sending usage statistics and crash reports to Google.

We have this link to the main "background" advertising inserted in browsers .... It is called In-text advertising and it is very common.
Kontera and Vibrant or more recently VigLink are the more popular advertising networks that provide in-text advertising and information services.

#9 yesme2y

yesme2y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

well I need some help again, ( im stupid) anyway, my free Mcaffe runs out tonight, what do u guys recommend I replace it with ?

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

well I need some help again, ( im stupid) anyway, my free Mcaffe runs out tonight, what do u guys recommend I replace it with ?

I suggest you create a new topic in Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Programs section :) it's more appropriate for your question.

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users