Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 installation on a separate HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Phoenix21

Phoenix21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hi All

I thought I play with the technical preview of Windows 10. I  downloaded the ISO file and burnt it onto a DVD ready to go.

My PC is a laptop with a small SSD so I don't really don't want to mess with it creating partitions, or installing virtual drives etc. What I want to do is install Windows 10 in a separate USB hard drive I have lying around and then boot into it leaving my laptop HDD alone.

Is this possible? If so, I would be grateful for an idiot's guide.

Thanks..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

I haven't tried Windows 10 yet, but I would assume this is true of Windows 10 too. For Windows 8.1 and earlier Windows doesn't support booting from USB devices except on Windows Embedded (which is intended to be non-removable physically inaccessable usb device), and Windows To Go (a feature in Windows Enterprise Edition). Over the years I have stumbled on some hacks to get around this, but I've never tried any of them, and discussion of them is not appropriate on this site. My understanding is that aside from WIndows refusing to install on USB devices, it also does something to them during boot up to make the boot-manager/boot-loader unable to find the device in the event that someone manually installs Windows to a USB device.

I think your only hope is Windows To Go, I'm not sure if it's included in the Windows 10 Enterpise Technical Preview? Perhaps someone else can advise on that. I've personally never tried to make a Windows To Go setup so I'm not sure what exactly is entailed. I assume you're probably using the Windows 10 Technical Preview, not the Enterpise Technical Preview.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users