Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Downgrade From My 64 bit Installation to 32 bit For Better Performance?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mech5501

mech5501

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

I am currently running Win 7 64 bit on an older machine, which only has 2GB RAM. I have an AMD 64x2 3800+ Dual Core processor running at 2.0GHz. For some reason, my computer won't accept another 2GB RAM stick (it's quite baffling--I think the RAM socket is toast as the computer won't even boot with 4GB RAM installed), so I was thinking of downgrading from Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit to Win 7 Home Prem 32 bit. Would it be worth it, performance-wise? It's not like my computer is super slow running the 64 bit version of Win 7, but it could stand a performance boost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

No, it is not going to solve the problem. Maybe the RAM Stick is faulty, if the ram socket is damaged your pc will boot normally

#3 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

Try a different ram stick combo if you can just to make sure it is not the ram as TheCdoer suggests or there is not conflict between the two sticks. Should be the same manufacturer to prevent conflicts. Also check the bios settings and make sure you don't have to make any changes there to accept more memory. (unlikely but a shot in the dark). o

Oh one other thought. Did you try the one stick in the slot you suspect is bad to see if it works? May rule out a bad socket. As long as the board does not require a single stick in a particular slot to work it would be a quick check. 

Edited by mralias518, 10 January 2015 - 10:40 AM.

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users