Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with my Sound Drives - No sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PFBrucklets

PFBrucklets

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

Hey guys,

For the past few months, I've been grinding my teeth at how frustrating it is to try and get my sound drives to work.

At times, my audio would suddenly go mute; no indication of it, even when I adjust the volume. Opening MP3 or MP4 files results in errors, and so does sound tests. VCL play, but no sound is ever used. And opening videos online (Youtube and such) results in the video not making any progress past the 0:00 point.

At times the audio would come back, but for short periods of time. I've attempted to reinstall my sound drives, and though it was a success it proved to be temporary and would fall back into it's old habits.

I know this is not a malware issue, because I cleared my laptop out with programs a previous forum post provided me. I've been getting advice from a friend who is an expert on PCs, and he was the one who suggested I reinstall my sound drives. Now he thinks I should just format my laptop and reinstall windows.

I'm still unsure if this is a software issue, of if this is actually a hardware issue. I'm pretty close to just screaming "bleep it" and storming off to a local PC shop to get it repaired. If there is any other advice you guys could give me that could fix this problem once and for all, I would be very grateful.

(I have a Realtek High Definition Audio drive, along with four NVIDIA High Definition Audio drives in my Device Manager. I have been reinstalling the Realtek one)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

Hi, do you still need help and is this topic related?

Tekken

#3 PFBrucklets

PFBrucklets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

Yes! I still do! I actually reinstalled my sound drives today, and an hour later I've already got crackling audio followed by all the above,

That old post was back when I had no idea what the problem was. Now that I do, I can confirm it's not nasty malware. I'm starting to think it might in fact be a hardware issue...

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:44 AM

A crackling sound may indeed be a hardware issue or in some cases a driver not compatible or buggy or a video/audio software enhancer conflicting with your driver.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users