Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio randomly stops working until I reboot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sirkssim

Sirkssim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

(some background) I currently have the toshiba satellite a505-s6965. I bought it back in 2009 but last year my hard drive crashed so I replaced it with a 1tb SSdrive and upgraded to windows 7 in the process.

I haven't had any other issues until maybe about 2-3 weeks ago when i noticed after so long my sound stops working. I can't play videos, music or anything. Itunes wont even show the song playing at all. I have done everything, my drivers are all up to date, my bios is updated. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers(audio controllers as well). I have tried headphones and none of that changes anything.

However...if I hit the volume up button on the laptop, it will beep through both the speakers and headphones but no other sounds will play. But if I restart it will all go back to working for so long. Sometimes when the sound works i may sound a little cracked or weird.

Could this be my sound card going out? If so I have zero problems replacing it(well finding an alternative solution) but I am just wondering if anyone had suggestions before I open this laptop up. As this is my main computer used for my school stuff I can't be without it for too long. My only other computer is used for managing virtual computers/servers for another set of classes.

Any suggestions on a fix for this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

Its not a hardware problem, i had this problem, The fix? Reinstall your OS

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

last year my hard drive crashed so I replaced it with a 1tb SSdrive and upgraded to windows 7

When you installed Windows 7, did you also download and install the mainboard drivers for the model and OS of your laptop from the Toshiba website?  On a laptop that would be video, chipset and audio drivers. That might be the reason for your problems.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Sirkssim

Sirkssim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

My harddrive went out in august of 2013 and since then I have went through and installed all the drivers needed directly from the manufactures website. So It may just be what the other person suggested and just need to be wiped and re started. Its just one hell of a process. This issue only just started around 3 weeks ago.

#5 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

You could always make a bootable USB drive with Linux OS and run it off of that for a while playing videos and sound to see if you get the same issue. That would rule out any hardware issues. 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users