Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure where to put this...Macrium XP issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

So. Last summer I imaged my XP Pro hard drive on a 2.1TB external. Did the backup disc and all, and put it all away.

Hard drive failure...but I'm all set, right?

Wrong.

The box won't open the rescue disc. Tried three CD/DVD players. But.....the rescue disc opens on the backup 8.1 laptop. I can see all the data.

The version data I copied:

Macrium E57932F1AE469A26#5.2.6551 2014/05/29 T#WAIKFiles00x86.exe
PE Version 3.0

All I can figure is I did something wrong somewhere. My XP is 32 bit....if somehow I did it in a 64 bit recovery disc, mayhaps that is why it opens in 8.1?

I have a MiniXP disc that opens (BIOS set first to boot from CD on the XP box), I can see my files, but I need this Macrium image to save my OS, as I HATE 8 and 8.1 with a passion.

Whole reason I did the Macrium was so if something happened I could still have the comfort of XP.

I tried loading Macrium on this 8.1 laptop and realized the 64-bit issue, so I stopped. I was going to try another recovery disc and see if that would launch the EHD.

Any ideas? I see in the MiniXP files Macrium. I could plop another CD/DVD/RW unit in, try to write from the MiniXP Macrium to the second CD.DVD, but never done that before.

Thanks.

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2015 - 12:30 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hello, and Welcome

In the Macrium program is an option to create a linux recovery disk. Use this. It should boot fine on the XP computer and allow you to do a recovery. The only limitation of the linux disk is it cannot do a backup.

Another way to burn the iso. If you look through the Macrium Files in the Program Files  Directory, you should see an iso file. That is the linux recovery iso. You can use any software that can burn an iso including Imbburn if you have it.

#3 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Okay....I can look there. I can only open the computer with the MiniXP disc running...so making another while the first is running is going to be difficult...I think.

What I need to be able to do is load the external hard drive with a Macrium created image onto my new hard drive. And my XP won't read the recovery disc.

What else can be used to get the EHD to write the image onto the new HD?

Dave

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

Can you install Macrium on your working computer, burn the linux recovery iso, then boot the disk on the XP computer with the external drive attached.

#5 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

Yes, I can install Macrium on the working computer. I did that, was right at the point of launch and saw "64-bit". Near as I can tell, and that's why I'm here asking....if I load it as 64-bit, burn a disc, will that work on a 32-bit machine?

Dave

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

It should not make a difference on the linux iso. If it does, you can copy the iso to a flash drive with your minixp and burn that. The iso should be the the C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect of your XP computer called rescue.iso and is about 20MB.

#7 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hello, and Welcome

In the Macrium program is an option to create a linux recovery disk. Use this. It should boot fine on the XP computer and allow you to do a recovery. The only limitation of the linux disk is it cannot do a backup.

Another way to burn the iso. If you look through the Macrium Files in the Program Files  Directory, you should see an iso file. That is the linux recovery iso. You can use any software that can burn an iso including Imbburn if you have it.

I am getting ready to do something. You're telling me the Linux ISO will boot the XP box...but will it allow a full transfer of the external hard drive image to a new hard drive in the computer?

I have discovered I have another 32-bit XP Home machine in a closet. An old Dell Inspiron 5000e...with limited, non-upgradeable RAM, which is why we finally bought this new laptop. I could boot it up, load Macrium on it (if the space will allow it), do a recovery disc and try.

Until I know the Linux ISO will allow me to load the EHD image onto my new hard drive, that looks like the best option, no?

Dave

(I know computers...enough to do most stuff. But I have never done this, never put in a new, blank hard drive, never tried to image one...)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

I have used the linux boot disk. If the linux recovery disk boots on the XP computer and can detect the internal and external drives which it should then it will be able to restore the image on your external drive.

From the Macrium Link I provided in post #2 for the linux disk.

The Linux CD is a compact and efficient rescue environment to restore all Windows operating systems. It will only enable your to restore your imaged partitions to exactly the same size and position as they were at the time the image was created.

If the new drive for the XP computer is larger than the original, you will need to get a partition manager like Partition Wizard and expand the partition as the new drive will have the same partition size as the old.

#9 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Got the old Inspiron out, on charge. Finally connected, downloaded Macrium, went fully through the process until the very end...and it refused. Seems I need SP3. I never did that, as the total disc space is 29.8GB, free space was 15GB, and I was judicious with my programs trying to not kill my space.

​Let you know what happens.

​Why they ever made a laptop with 512MB of ram and 30GB of disc....beyond me.

#10 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

Loaded SP3. Took about six hours. Loaded Macrium.....tried a disc, old laptop couldn't find it. Loaded to thumb, transferred to 8.1 laptop, burned a disc, loaded disc into DOA tower, lot of mucking around, finally got it to boot.

Then figured out how to transfer the image...and I wasn't going anywhere while it had a chance of working.

2359 local, booted THIS machine up on the new hard drive and old image.

Today I plopped the old hard drive in as backup.

Cannot yet figure out where Outlook Express hides the last six months of e-mails.

Someone said in a forum I read today I have to boot the old drive..and since it won't, how does one do that?

Maybe unplug new drive, boot with MiniXP to od drive, copy out e-mails to somewhere....lost on that part.

Any sage advice on finding Outlook Express data?
I found stuff, but it's 2009.

Thanks.

Dave

#11 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

Ah HA! Found it. Boy, was that convoluted. They weren't held in any Outlook Express folder. Local Setting, application data, identities, microsoft, outlook express.

Transferring now...then a full Macrium image again.

Dave

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

Was the XP computer able to boot the Macrium linux disk? You can also use the rescue iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB if the computer supports booting from USB.

#13 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

First try was with the PE Macrium, and that worked just fine once you figured out where you had to go to continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users