Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very High Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TarenDrake

TarenDrake

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:26 AM

First time poster here.

For the past 6 months or so, I've had issues with the CPU usage spiking up to 100%. This has become a daily problem.

The only things that have been installed int eh last 6 months would be the CSI computer games, which as all now uninstalled, and completely removed, Couple small misc games from realarcade, uninstalled, and removed, and of course, the updates that occure with Mcafee, MS antispy, adaware, and spyboy S & D.
I orginially started having this issue with SWdoctor (Spyware Doctor), ended up uninstalling that yesterday. After a reboot, a defrag, clean up, scans with all above mentioned tools, and another reboot.. the issue still occurs.

It's happening alot with Internet Explorer.
Tho, it doesn't happen till I've been browsing for a while.
Generally happens when:
-A window is accidently blocked by yahoo popup blocker..
-Playing RuneScape..

Will also happen when:
-Playing a pc game, (CSI, MYST, Minesweeper.. ect)
-watching downloaded video files (using most recent wimamp)
-listening to music mp3/cd (also using most recent winamp)
-using my telnet client (GoSclient)

I always catch it when it happens, cause you can hear the whir from the tower.

System specs:
XP home edition SP1
256 RAM
40 GB HD, 12% free

Any one care to take a crack at helping me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:43 AM

When it happens, open the Task Manager, and see what process is using the most resources.
Ctrl+Alt+Del, then click on the Processes tab.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TarenDrake

TarenDrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:54 AM

Nine times out of ten, it's iexplore.exe that spikes.
When I playt hte games, it's the games' exe files that spike.
When I use the downloaded client for RuneScape, it's runescape.exe that spikes.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:03 AM

There are three things that struck me immediately, the fact that you only have 12% free space on your hdd, only 256MB of RAM, and haven't installed the SP2.

The hdd will maintain a small cache for manuvering sectors, and with only 12% showing as free space means that the hdd is pretty full. I'm quessing that you have some large files in there, maybe some pictures or videos, you might want to consider transferring some of the files to a CD, or DVD.

I'm not a gammer myself, but I know that there are games out there like BF2 that can suck out around 512MB out of 1GB of RAM, 256MB of RAM is minimal now days, you might consider adding another 256MB, you won't be disapointed!

The SP2 won't make a great deal of difference in the CPU usage, but is very important if you are on line. M$ will send a CD to you for a couple of dollars.

Where are you reading the percentage, the task manager?

Edited by dc3, 22 June 2006 - 03:06 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TarenDrake

TarenDrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:15 AM

This is my parents PC. They dont want SP2. Otherwise, I'd have installed it already.
This computer is two years old, and had 512 ram when bought. When I looked at the system information to double check, it claims to only be a 256. Seems odd. *Shrugs* Maybe I misread it ages ago, or mixed it up with something else.

Even when I delete everything off, personal files and all.. it still happens. So I don't see how thats the issue at all. Before this started happening, there was less then 2gigs of space. Though I will take your advise of transfering the data to a CD.

I got the percent off the task manager. When it spikes, it says 100%. Will return to norm after opening the task manager and closing out the spiked programs.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:58 AM

Not having SP2 installed is extremely foolish and will eventually result in a completely contaminated and inoperable computer which will infect everyone else in its address book before it craps out.

At 12% free space you also do not have sufficient hard drive space for essential Windows processes such as chkdsk and defrag to work. System Restore is probably restricted as well.

I think that by not having SP2 your system is also disqualified from future critical updates as well, and there have been many since SP2.

#7 TarenDrake

TarenDrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

This PC is not contaminated, it's not hurting anyone elses PC, it's scanned, and updated every other day.
Nothing it wrong with this PC other than the spikes of 100%.
It defrags just fine, it starts up fast, it restore fine, it does everything just dandy.

We go to only safe websites, open up safe email , don't download everything on the planet.

#8 TarenDrake

TarenDrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:18 PM

Anyone else with helpful hits or tips for me?
After cleaning out over 7 gigs worth of unused programs, files, and data.. the problems still occur.
Plan on trying the newest IE, the 7 beta. Tho, need to DL the SP2 to get that.
How is Sp2 different from the first one?

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

Hi TarenDrake.
Check out the info on SP2 at M$, but as I understand it, it is a vital part of keeping your PC clean and safe.
Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

Partial list of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;811113

Most of the changes address necessary patches for security exploits.

#11 TarenDrake

TarenDrake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:57 AM

Thanks! I'll make the update to SP2 on Monday. Then play around with it, and let y'll know if the problems of the high cpu usage still occur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users