Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

to check mouse problem - online article seem not right

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Here is an online article which seems like it would cause more trouble than it might help in any understanding:

specifically the section that goes like this:

Mouse software or driver conflict

Boot into Windows Safe Mode. If the mouse is working in Safe Mode, there is likely adriver or software conflict. To fix this problem, follow the steps below.

1. Open Windows Device Manager.
  2. Expand the mouse (mice) option in Device Manager by clicking the + symbol.
  3. Remove all mice listed by highlighting each device and then pressing the Delete key on the keyboard.

If the mouse still does not work in Normal Windows, follow the basic troubleshooting steps for your version of Windows.

That step #3 seems like a big risk.  If I do that step, then will the mouse either work WORSE, or completely stop working?

The problem I hope to check is that on a particular computer here, toshiba laptop, Windows Vista, a computer restart or fresh start with ANY mouse plugged in, the mouse, ANY mouse, will NOT work; UNTIL the mouse is disconnected and then reconnected.  Forgot to say, USB-connectable mouse.  

There is found already a similar topic about the problem on the toshiba laptop forum and there were no responses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

• 13,347 posts
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

What is described is a normal diagnostic procedure, and is one of the purposes of Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, the Device Manager will display all driver installations, including multiple instances, failed installs, drivers belonging to something that was only ever used once five years ago, etc. Deleting these and allowing Windows to find a single generic or device-specific driver can resolve conflicts and similar weird behaviour.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cafejose

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

Describing what I have been seeing, this being also directly related to why I had tried Driver Manager earlier, as reported in 

I had thought maybe Driver Manager would give a way to take care of the start/restart mouse problem on another machine.  I went through search on Toshiba website, found link to Driver Manager, installed it, seemed to be confusing, later uninstalled it and the peice that came with it.  On the other hand, when I DID first install it, and then plugged in the computer mouse  (onto the affected toshiba laptop), a taskbar notification stated hardware was detected, and then some...? ... driver was being installed.  Later in that session, a restart seemed to not show the mouse problem solved.  

But now, after already UNINSTALLING Driver Manager, I have found that the computer mouse, when kept plugged-in, and computer fresh started OR restarted, seems to work normally without needing to be unplugged and replugged.  

So there it seems to be.  Driver Manager did not show me any choice of how or what to install, but seems to have done something on its own, possibly finding the necessary reparatory driver and installing it, while the effect not taking immediately.

Confusing, but satisfying.

Still not sure if this effect will continue or not.  The computer been started and restarted for a week now and mouse works normally.

#4 cafejose

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

About post #3.

The mouse problem is not fixed, or is no longer fixed.  Again on that particular computer, startup results in mouse not working until it is unplugged and replugged.  For a few days it was working right, but now no longer.  Still works as long as unplug and then replug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users