Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop turns on but the screen will not.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slyathar

slyathar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

Hi sorry for the long story but it might help for diagnosing
my problem.

I have had an acer laptop for awhile now (two years). 
Recently the hard drive failed and I lost everything. The local computer repair place fixed it up by replacing the HDD. It seemed to work well again, aside from losing everything. 
All was going good until bam, my phone fell on it directly where the hard drive is located. I restarted and the computer booted up normally and the hard drive appeared ok, apart from (maybe) some strange sounds, but I'm not sure. 
I ran many disk checking software and all the results seemed positive but I wasn't convinced so I took the hard drive out of the computer and made sure it was connected properly. When I plugged it back in, and powered it up the computer screen wouldn't turn on. Only the power light turns on in the front, the hard drive light comes on when I boot it but turns off right after. The fan and HDD both seem to be working from what I can hear, no strange clicking or grinding.
I tried plugging it in to an external monitor to see if the screen was the problem but it's not that, to my knowledge.

Please help, I have been losing sleep over this whole process and I would prefer to not have to send it back to the repair shop if possible.

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2015 - 12:41 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cj2

cj2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

TRY AN EXTERNAL MONITOR

#3 slyathar

slyathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

TRY AN EXTERNAL MONITOR

Thanks for the reply. I already tried that.

#4 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

Hi sorry for the long story but it might help for diagnosing
my problem.

I have had an acer laptop for awhile now (two years). 
Recently the hard drive failed and I lost everything. The local computer repair place fixed it up by replacing the HDD. It seemed to work well again, aside from losing everything. 
All was going good until bam, my phone fell on it directly where the hard drive is located. I restarted and the computer booted up normally and the hard drive appeared ok, apart from (maybe) some strange sounds, but I'm not sure. 
I ran many disk checking software and all the results seemed positive but I wasn't convinced so I took the hard drive out of the computer and made sure it was connected properly. When I plugged it back in, and powered it up the computer screen wouldn't turn on. Only the power light turns on in the front, the hard drive light comes on when I boot it but turns off right after. The fan and HDD both seem to be working from what I can hear, no strange clicking or grinding.
I tried plugging it in to an external monitor to see if the screen was the problem but it's not that, to my knowledge.

Please help, I have been losing sleep over this whole process and I would prefer to not have to send it back to the repair shop if possible.

You could try taking the battery out and putting it back in while unplugged from the electrical out. A power reset sometimes fixes things. You might have dislodged one of the ribbon cables to the screen when messing with the hard drive. Re-check and make sure they are all seated correctly, 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

When you do the power down with the battery removed also press and hold the power button about 30 seconds.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 endercase

endercase

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

It sounds like when you plugged the HDD back in you may have mounted it improperly or something is loose (vague, I know), can you make the BIOS show up (DEL or f2 repeatedly, directly after power on) (http://en.kioskea.net/faq/283-how-to-access-your-bios-setup)? And what exactly happens when you push the power button, are there any beeps or screen flashes or other identifying features? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users