Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compressing large video archive - appropriate software?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

Hello, my name is Pjotr. I'm 27 years of age.

I do have movies on my hard disk of my computer.

Here's my interest:
I have WinRAR installed. I have tried to compress the large video files by that, and nothing in return. The large video files do remain of an equal big size, and the WinRAR compression program doesn't seem to do much about it.

Question: what are the software available, that is designed / made for especially for compressing large video files (like movies)? Is there any?

PLEASE, POST YOUR LINKS!

Thank you. :)
...happy new 2015 year! Celebrate!

P.S. I also have an mp3s folder.

Also:

In WinRAR 5.20 I've noticed a "rar5" compression method. What is it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

I don't know if you're still looking for a powerful archiving tool rhino, but whenever this question was asked on other forums I was on, a lot of people would recommend KGB Archiver as the most powerful archiving program there is. Apparently, it's discontinued and not updated anymore, people some people think that it's still better than WinRAR, 7Zip, WinZip, etc. in term of compression size. Maybe it's worth giving it a try and see how it goes?

Also, here's a complete guide written by RARLab (the developpers of WinRAR) about the new RAR5 compression method :)

http://www.rarlab.com/technote.htm

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

Most video file formats are inherently compressed, and you will not be able to compress them further without degrading the quality.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:01 AM

In my experiences LZMA2 has the best luck with hard to compress files, as that's what it was built in mind for. If you use a non-indexing archive format like XZ instead of say ZIP that will also aid compression, but XZ only supports 1 file per archive. Many video codecs have built in compression, therefore the only way to yeild further compression would be if the archive's compression algorithm is more efficient than the video codec's was. Long story short, putting videos into compressed archives is pointless because the data is already compressed. You might save a few % of space, but I wouldn't expect any worth-while results regardless of what program you choose to use. This is why people tend to convert their videos to smaller degraded copies, thereby sacrifcing quality for space savings. Codecs like H.264 are good for going that route.

#5 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

...then what software provides that H.264 built-in compression?

links please.

Edited by rhino1366, 03 February 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

http://www.any-video-converter.com/mp4-converter.php
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

HandBrake is a popular free one, and it supports creating a que of conversion jobs. Sometimes I'll setup a que of a bunch of files I want to convert, and then just leave my computer on overnight.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

HandBrake is a popular free one, and it supports creating a que of conversion jobs. Sometimes I'll setup a que of a bunch of files I want to convert, and then just leave my computer on overnight.

I definitely agree with HandBrake. Very good conversion/compression program, it just keep on growing on popularity.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

do they all use one same standard method of compression?

#10 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

Update. Are we done here? Not all of the interest is covered.

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:12 PM

do they all use one same standard method of compression?

Not sure what you mean. H.264 is H.264 regardless of what program you use to encode it with. I'm looking forward to H.265 which is offers even better results.

#12 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

...and will come out when (the year)?

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

H.265 is already out, but last time I checked there weren't any programs offering it yet. It appears things have changed since then, because the HandBrake now has support for it according to ( https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Encoders ). I'm still using the HandBrake 0.9.9 currently (which was before H.265 support was added).

#14 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:35 AM

What's on percents? ...the win of H.265 over H.264 by compressions. :)   Have you already checked this?

Edited by rhino1366, 21 February 2015 - 12:36 AM.

#15 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

So, on the Internet, converting and compressing videos is somewhat the same business? H.264 codec.

To harder compress already good sized *.mp4 videos is a job for a video converter, as I see? Freemake can do this task?

Can you provide me with a chart of proper conversions/compressions, from-to? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users