Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud bang, immediate power-off, and burning smell...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barginski

Barginski

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hello all,

My younger brother was just playing Minecraft on my parents' XP computer when it suffered a catastrophic failure. By this I mean there was a loud bang (loud enough for me to hear in the next room, with music playing). At first, it sounded like something had hit the floor in the next room. The system apparently immediately powered off. There was a mild "burning" odor in the air as well. After a few minutes, upon visual inspection, I noticed the power supply unit was noticeably warm to to the touch. The system will not even begin to boot.

I am not too familiar with the specs of this system. What I could determine by looking inside, I have listed below...

Logisys 480 W PSU

WD 2000JS 200 GB HDD

Asus N13219 motherboard

2 GB Ram

I cannot get a good enough look to determine what the CPU is.

I also noticed the heatsink fan was not very clean at all, and parts of it were caked with dust... So I'm wondering if this might be CPU-related... Not sure if it's that, or the power supply... or something else entirely.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Barginski, 09 January 2015 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

My first guess is that the Power Supply has probably decidedly gone to the great capacitor in the sky.  The loud bang you heard was most likely the capacitor/s blowing.

Did it take the rest of the system with it?  Hard to say.. you wont know until you get a new power supply.

P.S .. be sure to unplug this system from the wall ASAP

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

That PSu can be gotten for about 15 USD. As it's an old XP system I would not spend too much on it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

Before spending money, I suggest you investigate a bit further.

Check your capacitors. Open the side of the case and look on your mainboard for any that are obviously blown. If you don't know what capacitors are or how to check them read here. If you have blown or bulging caps on the mainboard it must be replaced. If your unit is older, that will be very difficult so post back.

If your mainboard looks clean, check your power supply. Put your nose next to it and smell; if you detect a really bad "melted plastic" odor, one or more caps have blown and you must replace the power supply. That is easy to do and relatively inexpensive.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

The only sound I've heard that seems related to what you describe...is the sound of  blown capacitors I managed to accomplish some years back.  I replaced the motherboard and was good.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users