Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop LED Screen Black but still Visible

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSI

BSI

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

I have an HP Pavilion DV7-6B55DX that has an LED screen that started to flicker over time and finally went black.  When you held a flashlight up to it you could see the Windows screen so first thought is an inverter but after taking the screen apart I realized it was an LED screen that did not have an inverter so my thought of replacing the inverter turned into ordering a replacement LED screen.  I had also tested the laptop screen by hooking up an external monitor and that worked just great.  I ordered a new LED screen and just received it today and installed it.  No luck, still the same problem so not the LED screen. 

I then took the laptop completely apart all the way down to the motherboard and checked all cables and connections.  Reseated all connections and inspected the motherboard for any signs of damage but nothing.  Read somewhere that the motherboard has a builtin fuse on the motherboard that can short out and if it is replaced or repaired with a little soldering it might work.  Saw no signs of damage on the motherboard so reinatalled everything and fired it up to again the same issue. 

It seems like a backlight issue but the LED screen has the backlight built in to my understanding so looking for insight and input from someone that has solved a similar problem with a  laptop LED screen. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

I found the readables on the web talking about that fuse you said you ' saw' no problems with.  Wifth a fuse that small your not going to ' see' anything wrong.  You have to use a multimeter to see if you get continuity.

It sounds to me like you are having the same problem as the people in this post.  I don't do soldering so I cannot reccomend anything other than to read what other people are saying and see if the fix works for you. 

Here are posts where people seem to be having your issue.

#3 BSI

BSI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thank you for that, similar to other ones I had read but will read everything again to make sure I did not miss anything. 

My only issue is finding the right resistor/spot on the motherboard to fix, any ideas where I could find it for this particular laptop model.  I have already downloaded the service manual from HP for this unit which helped with ordering a replacement LED screen but nothing related to the particulars of the motherboard.

Thanks again for the input.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Read over those posts.. other people have provide images.  Without being able to have one to take it apart myself I can in no way tell you where I ' think ' it is. 

#5 BSI

BSI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

YeahBleeping,

Thanks for the help, the article helped and I was not able to identify the fuse(s) on this HP but suspected fuses did test find with my multimeter as far as continuity.  Again thanks I appreciate the second set of eyes, always helps and always have more to learn :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users