Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash/video program advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LAB811

LAB811

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

I just got an Acer Aspire E 15 Touch to have a portable computer. It came loaded with some Acer installed video software but many videos I can't see because they require Flash. Can you suggest a good free alternative to Adobe Flash? Also I used have PC Tools firewall installed on my old computer since it is no more can you suggest another free firewall program like that one. I'm not very technical but follow directions well. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

The video software (from acer) you have installed is not an alternative to flash, it is a video player of some type (the same sort of thing as windows media player or vlc) it will not help with online videos. Unfortunately there are more-or-less no alternatives to flash for watching online flash plugin based videos, sites (like parts of youtube) have startd to move to html 5 players which don't need a plugin at all but flash is still widely needed.

There are three ways you can solve your problem with flash
1.use google chrome, this has a built in flash player, it's still flash but you don't have to worry about it as a separte program as it is witin google chrome
2.download the flash plugin for firefox
3.download the flash plugin for IE

All those options are free, but they are not truly alternative to flash.

Vieos being watched offline (things on DVDs or on your hard drive) should not be flash based and if the acer software you have wil not play particular video files you have then VLC could be used, it is free and open source.

As for the firewall i am not familiar with the brand you currently have so know nothing about it, but If for some reason you think it needs to be changed from the current one remember that windows has one built in.

Edited by rp88, 09 January 2015 - 05:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 LAB811

LAB811
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

Thank You rp88!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users