Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what will be the correct way to upgrade to Windows 10 when the time comes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Gentlemen & Ladies: 

What will be the correct way to upgrade to Windows 10 when its available for sale? (given with a little tough situation I encounter with my sony laptop. 

Here is what the situation:

I encountered a few times of blue screen due to some sony's own software update. It's too late for me to do the System Restore as the "date(s) for late known good configuaration had passed.

I know I can go for a clean reinstallation of Vista (SP2-dating back to 2010), but then, it requires ALL windows update which will takes forever just to get up-to-date status...., then...wipe out again-- when the time comes for Windows 10 upgrade...OMG...

[ Not to mention first require backing up all files and photos, then reinstall--I know i can't get away with this part-HAHA ]

So, If i buy the Windows 10 Grade version when it's available for sale, then back up my files & photo, ....

What will be the correct way for me to install, to fix my problem, getting my laptop running up-to-date?

Here are the spec of my latop:

Sony old vgn-AR-770 U --7 years old

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2/ 32 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz 

RAM 4GB

Solid State Drive 300 GB

Blu Ray Read + Write drive with built in WIN-DVD player comes with purchase

1200 x 1080 resolution

It's not worth any $ now, but I don't have any $ these days to buy a new computer either, ....Thank you in advance !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

Why upgrade to windows 10, when It hasn't even been fully tested? 

I would go for Windows 7 instead, 

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

I am a big fan of full version dvd's though usually much more expensive than upgrades/downloadable upgrades.  I like to Have a disk ... wipe the drive with gwscan (write zeros with drive manufactur'ers tools) (if its not an SSD) Stop windows updates until I have the MB drivers installed.  Install all the windows updates Yes this takes forever.  Install flash for my browser. Install MSE.  Install AdAware. Start downloading Steam and all my games.

#4 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

Well, I know 7 is a very good O/S, but I guess, when it's time to do the upgrade, i take it it's better to go with the latest version unless it is proven worst case ( such as 8...), besides, i assume 10 will let me last for a little more while. 

As I mentioned, (when it's available for sale)......still I probably won't jump into 10 right away when available, but rather wait a little to see IF it would be just like 8--so problematic...

Great Advice --it is Valuable to have a cd-disk handy.....I know what you mean,....BTW, what is a MB driver?? .....My HDD is solid state drive!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users