Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my brother in laws computer being hacked??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 want to learn

want to learn

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Trying to fix my brother in laws computer, nearly every https website comes up with an error saying attackers may be trying to get into the computer, some of your members and moderators told me to change the cmos battery and set the correct time, which I did, (the time was out by 15 years before I changed the battery).  

But I still have the https certificate errors come up every time we try to get on to the internet.

Please help

By adding websites to the trusted sites in Internet Options, will this let me get into that particular site or will the same error message come up? I will be going out there soon to take another look and will try this then.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

the first thing I would do is to check the certificates themselves. Basically the error message tells you that the certificte you're getting is either not correctly signed, not for the right period or for a different site.

So if you could pick a sample site where you get the error message and take a look at the certificate, we might be able to pin point the problem.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Below is the error message we get with one of the sites

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.flybuys.com.au, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

#4 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.flybuys.com.au, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

www.flybuys.com.au uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate has expired. (Error code: sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate)

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Hi,

so this seems to be a date issue still. Given the error message you get. Since the issue is apparently with the date and not that the certificate doesn't match the site, I would suspect that the problem is still with the date on your PC.

Do you know how to check the time in BIOS? Could you check it?

regards

myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#6 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

will check bios time now!

#7 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Just checked Bios time and is correct

#8 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

although the time reads 01/10/2015 instead of what is on the computer 10/01/2015, unsure of how to change the time on the Bios, didn't have option to change it anywhere.

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Hi,

I just checked the certificate of flybus and it's valid from the 7th of january 2015 to the 7th of january 2016, so it should be valid for both dates. I think the date is set correctly just once in US setting and once in European.

Which browser do you use? Firefox? If so, you should see a broken lock left besides the address in the address bar. If you click on it you get the option for more information and then the option to view certificate.

Please post what the certificate says.

regards

myrti

#10 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

just had a look in windows updates, as you can see the date for this update is way out! could it be a problem

Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3025390)

Installation date: ‎19/‎12/‎2054 1:58 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025390

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Im sorry sillyberry but I cant view details of the certificate without opening up the risk

Edited by want to learn, 09 January 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#11 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Heya,

Yes, this would very much explain. In this case I would suspect that there's really nothing wrong with your internet or the sites your visit, it's only the date that is wrong. It is possible that windows is still adding the 30 year difference between the clock set by bios when the battery was dead and the real date, only that it is now reading the right date from BIOS.

Basically an ssl certificate is issued to a specific place for a specific period, usually one year. If the name on the certificate doesn't match the name of the website you're visiting or the time is not within the range in which the certificate is valid, you get these error messages. At this point I would consider it an extreme coincidence if you had the time set wrongly and someone was trying to hack you.

Can you check the computer time again? Can you go to system settings, then time and date and check what time is set there?

regards

myrti

#12 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

the computer time has not changed since I replaced the cmos battery

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

I'll ask some of the software/hardware people to take a look, as I'm sure this isn't malware and I'm not sure what's happening to your date.

regards

myrti

#14 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hi Myrti

I am not sure why but it seems to be working again? I did two things, I went back into the bios and reset the date in there, even though it was for the same date, then I downloaded a 30 day free trial of AVG Internet security? and after that it seems to be working fine? 

Will keep an eye on it of course and keep you updated with any developments, 

Thank you for your time today :)

Carla

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

Hi,

I'm happy to hear that. I would think the BIOS reset helped fix the problem. If you are still worried I would suggest running a scan with Malwarebytes' free version: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

regards

myrti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users