Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Desktop Machine > Networked Media Centre

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Pensive_By_Nature

Pensive_By_Nature

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Hello Bleepers!

I've got an unusual question that I'm hoping someone out there can help me with.

I recently aquired an old XP Desktop to play around with and I'd like to stick all my media (music, videos etc) on it and keep it on the network. However, with it being XP, I'd prefer it if it wasn't exposed to the Internet.

Is it possible to have a machine on the network (via an ISP supplied Router) but not exposed to the outside world as I would like other users on the network to be able to access the files on the XP Machine but have it "shielded" from the outside world.

Second point...

I'm toying with the idea of wiping windows to make it a Linux Media Server machine. I'm still contemplating that, however, I read someone in a forum or online somewhere a guy suggesting as a quick dirty approach to sharing files over a network. His idea was to get an old machine, like mine, enable the Folder Share option on the C: Drive thus making the entire contents of the computer available to everyone else on the network.

Not sure I want to take this approach, can anyone spell out any PROS / CONS for doing this over other methods out there.

This is very much a weekend project for me so I'm not looking to spend any money beyond possibly new drives to fit in the machine to accommodate the media.

Thanks in advance :thumbup2:

** EDIT **

Additional Info / Thought.....

I have a second ADSL modem-router. Would it be possible to set up a second network in the property (but not connected to the phone line - i.e. outside world) so that I could choose to connect to the internal network for the purposes of accessing the media etc?

Edited by Pensive_By_Nature, 10 January 2015 - 03:17 PM.

Pensive By Nature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users