Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load operating system after complete clean

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeffr6596

jeffr6596

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

I am the director of a developmental disability agency.  I recently purchased 5 computers from the state in which I live.  I knew they had to "clean" them before selling them.  However I expected to be able to get to the bios to boot from disk so I could load a new operating system on them in the least. 

I get a green power light, the hdd light flickers but nothing ever changes on my screen.  I have tested multiple computers and multiple screens and even screens with other computers to make sure they work. 

I contacted the state surplus and he couldn't help me at all other than saying "I have to remove all information before I can sell them"

I have tried booting from cd.  I also removed the hd from the surplus computer and connected it with a sata/ide cable to my existing desktop.  My desktop doesn't recognize the hd from the surplus computer.  I can hear it turning but no drive letter appears.  

Any ideas on how to get an operating system loaded?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Replace the hard drive..;.it doesn't sound as if it's functional.

If a new hard drive on the system produces same result...I guess that you bought a system with troubled components.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

When you go to BIOS is the hard drive detected? If they zero'd out the drive you will not get a drive letter showing. In Disk Management you may need to initialize the disk first then proceed to create a partition and format.

What is the make of the computers? If they are dell tap the F12 key at boot with the install disk. You should get a boot menu giving available boot devices. Even if the hard drive is bad, you should at least be able to boot the install disk.

You can use the bootable version of partition wizard  to do a partition and format without removing the drive if it is detected in BIOS.  Burn the iso file, boot Partition Wizard and it should detect the disk if BIOS detects it. Then create a partition and format NTFS.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Hi

It would help if you could tell us anything about the make of the computers.  Getting into the BIOS can be different on different PC's

As stated above.. if the drive is zeroed out you will not see it in your existing desktop. 

However if you have a full version of windows you plan on installing on these pc's ... the boot disk should see the drive regardless if it is zero'd or not.

What version of windows are you installing?  What happens when you put in the windows disc into the cdrom?

You may need to get into the bios if only to ' load default configuration '  But it would be helpful if we could make sure the bios ' Sees' the Drive.

#5 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

jeffr6596,

You mentioned "... nothing ever changes on my screen." I'm guessing you meant the screen stays completely blank after switching on the computer. Check if there are multiple places to plug the monitor in to the computer. For example, if there's a graphics card and you plugged the monitor in to an integrated graphics port on the computer then often the computer will detect the graphics card and expect the monitor will be plugged in to the card. You might not see a picture until Windows starts and Windows figures out the monitor is connected to the integrated graphics system. Since the hard drives of the computers probably are wiped then Windows won't start and you'll see no picture. If there's a graphics card then you should connect the monitor to the graphics card. Otherwise, remove the card from the computer and plug the monitor in to the integrated graphics port. 

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

I agree with Windont, check which port you have the monitor connected to.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#7 jeffr6596

jeffr6596
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

Sorry for starting a thread and then abandoning it.  Two days after I started the thread I herniated a disk in my back and have been out for a while.  I have found the cause of my problem with the computer and wanted to post it here for future reference by others who may encounter it.

The computers are HP MXL9140HQ  They had a graphics card on them which fit what a couple of you had to say about multiple places to plug the monitor in.  At first I unplugged the graphics card thinking it would reactivate the standard vga port.  It still did nothing.  Through a great deal of research, one of my board members found that these computers have a safety feature on them which locks out the system if the case is opened.  Also a jumper had been placed on the motherboard (I assume the in cleaning process from the state surplus place).  Problem is the jumper and/or the lock out feature (maybe the combination of the two) cause it to short the motherboard upon plugging it in and turning it on.  Two of the boards are fried.  By removing the jumper and pressing/holding the yellow reset button on the board I was able to get the others to boot and load an operating system.

Lessons learned.  Thanks for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users