Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IS MY 2400MHz RAM SUPPORTED BY MY MSI X99 SLI PLUS MOTHERBOARD?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iiParnellHDx

iiParnellHDx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hi all I'm curretly having trouble with my computer, it freezes after about 10 minutes of being in use.

Here are my specs;

Motherboard: Msi x99 sli plus

CPU: Intel i7 5820k (OEM)

RAM: Crucial ballistic sport DDR4 1x8GB STICK 2400MHz (running at 1200MHz due to single channel)

GPU: XFX R9 290X

PSU: corsair hx850

Boot drive: Sandisk 60GB SSD

I have just realised that on my motherboards website it says that 2133MHz is supported and anything above that says (OC) next to it. Is this just the company protecting themselves? Would I be best to stick to 2133MHz or do you think I'm having this trouble as I'm only using one stick or DdR4 2400MHz which is therefore running in single channel at 1200MHz, should I return and buy a quad channel kit. Shall I stick to 2400 or downgrade to the supported 2133 If you think the ram configuration is the problem.

Thanks I have another topic which gives more information about the freezing issue here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562619/computer-freezing-after-hardware-upgrade/#entry3590961

Thanks any information would be useful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ballose

Ballose

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

Excuse me but, do you think we are working for MSI ?

Just check the user guide

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Your system is unstable because you are probably running some off brand single memory module that's probably in the wrong slot too. I am not sure if you plan on populating all of the slots or not or if you can afford it. The kits are not cheap. So it is understandable. However, it is pointless to invest in this type of quad channel cpu/motherboard unless you don't plan on giving what it needs. I would say arguably that to get any real performance and stability out of this system you would need a bare minimum Quad channel 4 module kit. You bought a rocket. Later on down the road you may need a lot more memory especailly for graphics design ect. Later you might find that mixing 2 quad channel kits together makes the system unstable and you would of been better off paying $1000 bucks for the Quad channel 8 module kit. The more memory you put in a system and mix/match types, the more finicky "unstable" it's going to be. This is why memory is sold in kits. They are built as closly together as possible memory type, density, speed, timmings etc. The memory you buy now may not even be around by the time you buy another kit. I leave that up to you to decide. However, I highly recommend at least getting Quad channel 4 module kit, otherwise you would be wasting away the performance of cpu/motherboard overall. As of right now your motherboard can handle whatever "OC" speed memory on the market.

You should be looking at your manual or google your motherboard model and download the manual from MSI. It's a pdf in a zip file. I had a look at the manual and it requires you to put them in certain specific slots depending on what configuration and kit you buy. Moreover, It also has a warning notation that odd number slots should be populated first for stability. You need to read carefully and follow those schematic diagrams.  Also, adjust the memory timmings in the bios with accordance to the memory specs. Be sure to download and install all the latest drivers and bios updates. As for your stability issue, be sure it's in DIMM slot 1. Not sure if that will temporarily fix it or not. Goodluck!

Manual/drivers/bios http://www.msi.com/support/mb/X99S-SLI-PLUS.html#down-manual

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users