Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion G6 - Screen Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

Hi guys, happy New year!

Have a HP Pavilion G6 thats having some screen problems. When I started it up there was a white screen with lines running vertically up and down the screen. When I press the screen at the very bottom, the problem goes away. My question is - is this a screen replacement job?

thanks in advance
Norm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

If you can always solve the problem by pressing in a specific location, it is likely either your lcd panel or possibly the ribbon cable that runs from the mainboard to your lcd panel.

If you do the work yourself: REMOVE ALL POWER SOURCES before doing the work, this includes the battery and the power adapter. I have seen multiple cases of burned out led drivers (mainboard) from disconnecting the ribbon cable from the lcd while power was connected. It is easy to short circuit those connectors.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

If it is a ribbon issue. Does a new ribbon cable come with a replacement screen or do they have to be purchased separately. Any way to test to see If its the screen or cable?

Thanks

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Is your laptop still under warranty? it has been my experience that when you see lines running vertically on the monitor screen.that the screen is about to fail. Unless you have special tools required for laptops I would have it repaired by a professional. I have seen many people ruin their laptop by trying to fix it themselves

How old is the laptop?

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

The screens and cables are generally sold separately. What you can do to determine if it is the cable or the lcd panel is take the computer apart so you have access to the cable and the lcd panel, extremely carefully manipulate the cable without touching the screen and see if this changes the display at all. If only touching/moving the cable in a specific spot changes the display or causes the issue, it most likely is the cable. If moving the cable around does nothing at all, but putting pressure on the lcd panel does, then likely you have a bad panel. Don't forget to remove all power sources before actually disconnecting the cable.

If it is under warranty, a free service is the better route.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users