Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing after hardware upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iiParnellHDx

iiParnellHDx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my pc from AMD to Intel.
However since doing so I have experienced freezing of my PC sometimes it turns itself off and other times it just freezes. This usually happens after about 10 mins. I have the latest bios and drivers installed from the relevant websites. I have tried reinstalling windows to no avail. However the one time it hasn't frozen I managed to run AIDA64 for an hour with CPU temp maxing at 54C, therefore I don't believe my CPU is overheating, however after an hour I decided to stop this test in the hope that I could run another, however my PC froze straight after stopping the test which is odd?

Here are my specs;

Motherboard: Msi x99 sli plus

CPU: Intel i7 5820k (OEM)

RAM: Crucial ballistic sport DDR4 1x8GB STICK 2400MHz (running at 1200MHz due to single channel)

GPU: XFX R9 290X

PSU: corsair hx850

Boot drive: Sandisk 60GB SSD

The only thing I could think of would be only having one stick of ram which is therefore running in single channel at 1200MHz?

I will post Aida64 screenshots when I finish work

Anything that you think will help let me know I will post it

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 girlguru

girlguru

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

1.  Open the case and make sure the heatsink is securely attached to the processor.  If not sure, reattach it.

2.  Remove and reinsert the RAM.  

3.  Try different RAM.  The stick could be bad or (strangely) incompatible. 2400 MT/s is over clocked.  You could try 2133 MT/s DDR4 if you have any on hand.  Also, After testing, DDR4 is faster with 4 sticks of RAM. 

4.  Check the SATA cable connection to the hard drive.  (Or test the machine without the hard drive attached to rule it out). 

(I googled the motherboard.  The memory is supported if it is: MSI X99S XPOWER AC LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99.)  

#3 iiParnellHDx

iiParnellHDx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know when I get home from work ;) fingers crossed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users