Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 enjoyyy

enjoyyy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

Hey guys,

I have just purchased a Kingston HyperX 3K SSD and have installed it into my system. However when i now boot the computer i get no signal on my monitor and a blank screen until the "welcome" splash screen comes up for windows, so i cannot access the bios. The ssd is also not showing up as a drive. Google didnt seem to return any results for a similar problem. Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be?

My current system specs are:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP
HDD: WD Black 1TB (WD1003FZEX)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 2X4GB
CPU: Intel I5 4670k
GPU: Asus R9 270X DirectuCU II Top 2GB
PSU: Corsair CX-600M

Cheers,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

Assuming there are no problems with the power and data cable connections to the drive and the drive isn't defective I'd expect the drive to appear in Windows. You didn't mention the place in Windows you checked for the drive. Click Start, right-click Computer, select Manage, in the window that opens on it's left side look under Storage and select Disk Management. The SSD might be completely blank and need to be initialized and formatted in Disk Management. You might see more drives listed there than you expected. Be sure you select the correct drive, the SSD, if you do anything. Don't lose any important data by re-initializing and reformatting the wrong drive. You can right-click Disk 0, or Disk 1, or Disk 2 in the lower central section of the window and select Properties to get more info about the disk you select before you do anything.

Did you try pressing the key to enter the BIOS setup while the screen is blank before you see the Windows 7 welcome screen? Your computer might respond to the pressed key even thought the monitor is blank. Your motherboard might have a couple different drive controllers- one controller by Intel that has some SATA III and SATA II connections and another drive controller by a different company. Did you try connecting the SSD to a different speed connection or a different controller to see if you get different results?

#3 enjoyyy

enjoyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:09 AM

I did what you suggested right click Computer etc. however only 1 drive is showing up which is my existing HDD. I have also tested it in different speed connection with the same results. I'll keep googling though and see what i can come up with.

Cheers,

#4 enjoyyy

enjoyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:25 AM

Ignore my previous comment i made some stupid errors. First off after installing the ssd and reconnecting cables i noticed in my haste i had plugged my hdmi cable into the cpu graphics port. Thats why the bios screen didnt show  :oopsign: and secondly the drive 1 that was showing WAS the ssd, and all i had to do was exactly what you said and format it!

Thanks for your help!  :blush:

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

:lol:

Don't feel embarrassed, man!  Everyone has done a dum-dum at one time or another. Years ago I once sent back a new mainboard as bad because it got no power at all after installation. I forgot that I had turned the power supply switch off on the rear of the computer.  :rolleyes:

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 enjoyyy

enjoyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:44 AM

Haha I have had that a few times where rage will come over me and then ill just remembered i flicked the switch at the back. Also just a quick follow up question on my MOBO i have about 6 slots to plug the sata cables into, will it affect performance depending on what position the HDD and SSD are plugged into e.g. at the moment i have the HDD plugged into the 0 slot and SSD in the 1 slot.

Thanks!

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

No, the old days of IDE cables are gone forever (and what a relief!). As long as they work, one SATA slot is as good as another.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 enjoyyy

enjoyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Fantastic, I have everything working now and I have migrated my data over...those boot times! Haha.

#9 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

Haha I have had that a few times where rage will come over me and then ill just remembered i flicked the switch at the back. Also just a quick follow up question on my MOBO i have about 6 slots to plug the sata cables into, will it affect performance depending on what position the HDD and SSD are plugged into e.g. at the moment i have the HDD plugged into the 0 slot and SSD in the 1 slot.

Thanks!

No, the old days of IDE cables are gone forever (and what a relief!). As long as they work, one SATA slot is as good as another.

The SATA port used might matter. A lot of motherboards have a mix of SATA II and SATA III ports. Though that might not be the case with current motherboards. Some motherboards have a secondary SATA controller, too. Sometimes the secondary controllers perform as well as their specs claim and sometimes they don't. enjoyyy, I went to Gigabyte's website and checked the specs of the GA-Z87-D3HP rev. 1.x motherboard. The port you connected to the drive doesn't matter in your case. All six ports are SATA III and there isn't a second SATA controller as far as I can tell. I wish I had 6 SATA III ports.

Edited by Windont, 24 January 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#10 enjoyyy

enjoyyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the information! The motherboard did cost a pretty penny but im hoping it will last me a few builds! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users