Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i do cross fire, or should i just upgrade.. or is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TitusRaven26

TitusRaven26

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

I currently have an AMD HD Radeon 7870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025). the specs say it can run crossfire... which i'm led to believe that means i can install another Graphics card with crossfire capabilites, that also is compatible with my computer, and improve the Graphics quality on my system (assuming i also upgrade the PSU to match). I'm looking into getting a Radeon R9 280X (http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-3GB-2xMini-Graphics-GV-R928XOC-3GD/dp/B00FONITA6?SubscriptionId=AKIAJMPUPDNYIYT5HIWA&tag=pcspecs-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00FONITA6) for lack of money instead of buying something WAAAYYY better.

now... will that work?...is crossfire possible? should i upgrade or is it not worth it?

• Windows 8.1
  • AMD FX-6100
  • Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
  • 16 Gbs Dual Channel DDR3
  • 2048 ATI AMD Radeon HD 7870
  • RAIDMAX HYBRID2 RX-73OSS 73OW

Edited by TitusRaven26, 08 January 2015 - 09:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:26 PM

For Crossfire to ' work ' you have to have the exact same two video cards.  You also as you stated need to be able to supply the power required for both cards plus you need the crossfire ' bridge ' that came with your motherboard. 

You cannot simply select two video cards that support crossfire.

Given the cost of buying another video card AND PSU (if you need to)

You may be better off simply getting a better/faster/updated single card solution (not that your current one is bad)

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

I don't generally recommend crossfire unless you have a very well ventilated case, the top card tends to get heat soaked from the bottom card and the whole rig just gets hotter. I would recommend saving a bit more and going with the nvidia 970gtx which is very power efficient, that or wait until amd releases their r390x series cards and then the 970 will drop in price and amd might have a lower cost r380x which will be far more powerful than a 280x. The 280x = 7970.

Edited by zingo156, 09 January 2015 - 10:11 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

For Crossfire to ' work ' you have to have the exact same two video cards.

Not entirely true, for Nvidia yeah, but with AMD crossfire has a lot more lee-way.

That HD 7870 will work in CrossFire with any HD 7850, HD 7870, R9 270, and R9 270x. Even if they have varying amounts of VRAM it'll still do it, but will disable the parts of the higher spec card to match the weaker one.

To be clear it can not crossfire with a R9 280X. Only cards with any one of those four chips in them.

Edited by SEANIA, 11 January 2015 - 01:36 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users