Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile/ User Creation Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SThorson

SThorson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

Help Please!  I've been searching this forum and on line all day!  I cannot find anything close to my problem or any instructions to help me fix it.

I have two user accounts on my computer.  Both have Administrator privileges however, recently certain functions and capabilities have disappeared from these User Logons.  I think they have somehow become corrupt, so I thought I would create a new user and copy over the files (minus the Ntuser.dat; Ntuser.dat.log; and Ntuser.ini). 

HOWEVER, when I open the Control Panel/User Accounts and click Add or Remove User Account - I get nothing!  No window opens.  I have even activated the built in "Administrator" Account through the elevated command prompt, (but was unable to rename as per the tutorial on here) and it doesn't work either.

( I think not being able to rename the Administrator account has something to do with me not having "true" administrator privileges.  When I tried to save the rename program into the Windows32 system folder I got a "you must have administrative rights to do this" pop up, so I clicked to activate, but it never placed the file in the system folder.) 

Other things discovered while working on this:

- I cannot see/find (from the start prompt) "local security policies" 

- "Manage Computer" does not show "Users & Groups".

I can boot into safe mode and use the Toshiba Restore option which will bring it back to "out of the box" condition - but I believe I would have to reinstall all my programs - not something I want to do -- so this is a worst case/Armageddon scenario.

Any idea on how to fix these profiles and/or what could be wrong with Windows (running 7 Home Premium; 64 bit)?

Sandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

Other things discovered while working on this:

- I cannot see/find (from the start prompt) "local security policies" 

- "Manage Computer" does not show "Users & Groups".

These are only available in the Pro version of Windows 7.

You should not need to rename the hidden Administrator group. When logging into the Hidden Administrator Account you activated, you cannot create a new user in Control Panel?

#3 SThorson

SThorson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

No, I cannot even create a new user from the hidden Administator account. When I click the hyperlink to do so, it does nothing.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

I think there are some system files that are corrupted. Try this first though.

In the Administrator Account type CMD in the search box. Right Click > Run as Administrator. At the command prompt type

net user /add useraccountname    <enter>

useraccountname is any name you would like. You should now have a new account.

To make the account part of the administrators group type:

net localgroup administrators useraccountname /add  <enter>

If you cannot add the user with these commands you should run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt     (CMD > Run as Administrator) to find and fix any corrupted system files.

#5 SThorson

SThorson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

Was able to create a user with the command promt commands.   Restarted and tried to create (add/remove etc) from the control panel --- still no dice.  So I ran the sfc /scannow.  The scan noted that it did find and fix corrupted system files.  Log (Logs\CBS\CBS.log) text file however had nothing.  But it did fix the user accounts - so I guess I'm fixed.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users