Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HPMSN117.DLL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

Hello all,

I've searched Google on this but it seems that I can't find anything on this file. But here's the scenario:

I have a user that is trying to print something. When she prints, she gets an error: "hpmsn117.dll has stopped working." The same error message that one would get when a program stops working and it searches for a fix and if it doesn't find one, another box pops up that says some stuff and there's a button that says "Close program." The weird thing is that whatever she wants to print, prints. It's a network printer so I tested from my computer as well and it does the same thing. The only thing I notice that is wrong is (apart from that error message showing up) is that even though the page prints, it stays in the print queue and I have to cancel the job to remove it from the queue. I fixed this same exact problem for about half a day, then it started doing it again.

Any ideas? Or any further information needed? Let me know!

Thank you all in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Print-Servers-Network-Storage/hpmsn118-dll-has-stopped-working/td-p/5773525#.VK8OoebnbIU

See if the link in the 2nd post helps you. It is for a different number but could apply in your case.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 January 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#3 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

Well, I kind of went a different route with this user. This user is the only one who prints to this printer so I removed it from her computer, then removed it from the print server, and I added to her computer via IP Address. It doesn't look like the message comes up anymore. So, I guess this isn't exactly a fix, more like a work around but I think this is going to be our permanent fix, considering she's the only one who prints to it. If anyone else would happen to need it, I'll just add it via IP Address like I did with her's.

Thank you Queen-Evie for your reply! It was greatly appreciated.

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

For me, it sounds like your OS (stands for Operating System, remember it) is lacking some of file, like your Printer's installation files.

I would do so, for a start:

a. Through "My Computer", a right-click on each drive, then Properties, then a Service tab, then "check drive for errors". Do it on a main C:\ System drive firstly!... it should be done.

b. I would then reinstall drivers for your Printer. You should have a box CD somewhere near.

...some users remember an OS files struction rebuild command (requires an OS CD/DVD), it starts like /scannow or something. Afterwards, you can always check your System Restore Points section, when a Printer was working well.

Such errors can occure when a computer shuts off in a lack of electricity, especially when printing.

#5 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

I'm not sure if you were trying to insult my intelligence by saying I need to remember what OS stands for... But I will disregard it.

It's a network printer that I installed on her machine from a server. I installed it on my machine as well. At first I got the error message but after I removed the printer and re-added it, I never got that message again. So I removed the printer on her machine and re-added it, and she still got the message.

As I've stated above, I removed the printer from her machine and added it to her machine using the IP Address (instead of installing from the server). She is not presented with that error message any longer. Lucky for us, she is the only one who uses that printer so it is not needed on the print server so installing via IP Address is probably what we've should've done in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users