Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDoS issue with "infected malformed packet"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Furvy

Furvy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

I have no idea how seriously to take all of this, but it is leaving me entirely shaken and paranoid as I am knowledgeable, but not entirely.

A user of 19 years old found it funny to begin attacking me by (either) DoS or DDoS attacks, shutting down my Internet for 2-5 minutes at a time. He additionally said that he sent this "malformed packet which rebroadcasts itself over the network and contains tracking malware" to my router. My router is an RT-N66U and I had the hardware firewall enabled during the attacks in addition to the basic Windows 7 firewalls. Remote management is disabled as are AiCloud as I heard this had severe security issues in the past.

I am on Comcast, thus I am not simply allowed to restart the modem and get a new IP, so I am using the trick where I change the MAC address on the router to force get a new IP address from Comcast and it has worked.

Since the user found my IP by Skype, I have closed the account so presumably, there is no way to get my IP by Skype anymore.

I also scanned all of my Windows 7 machines using Malwarebytes, GMER, MBAR, AdwCleaner, TDSSKiller with zero infected items found by all programs. All machines have the latest Windows updates. I would almost definitely say that my machines are not internally affected, say for this "malformed packet which rebroadcasts itself over the network and contains tracking malware".

Yesterday after doing all of this, my Internet went down for about 5 minutes, but I could still access my router's management panel, so I don't know if it was just a coincidence. Perhaps I am super-paranoid at this point.

My question is, is it even possible to send this "malformed packet which rebroadcasts itself over the network and contains tracking malware and isn't a file?". If so, how do I get rid of it? I just assumed out of common sense that even if a packet contains some sort of malware, it has to be written as a file to function(?). Perhaps I'm just ignorant.

Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

malformed packet which rebroadcasts itself over the network and contains tracking malware and isn't a file?

REALLY.

Lol, he just tried to scare you. Even though he may be DOSing you right now.

Please post your router setup details immediately.

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

#3 NotAnElf

NotAnElf

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Hard to believe that one thing contains a tick in all the boxes of a good piece of Malware (although I'm no expert). 

What would a malformed packet even mean? Isn't it just when it cannot be dissected any further? Hardly dangerous.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

No reality to what the kid was telling you.  Just a bunch of mumbo jumbo. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users