Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"mapping drives, keeping drive letters the same?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 benbrown1428

benbrown1428

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance, this site is amazing. I have searched(maybe not correctly) and have not come up with an answer on how to map a drive using windows 7. This may or may not be what I need to do, so I will pose my problem. At a nonprofit, they have 3 computers, all 3 with licenses for quickbooks. The main computer, (marypats) has the main folder for QB and it is located on the C drive. The other two comps (jim and donna, both W7) access marypats via a router. Each computer has an external 500g drive for backups and such. Marypats also has a 3TB drive that is for all extra data storage and such. The problem is this. Each time someone plugs in a flash drive, or if they turn on comps out of sync, QB "cant find a company file" and I have to manually go to each comp and locate the drive. I have noticed then that the drive letters change. So, what I want to know, is A) should I map the drives; B) how do I keep W7 from changing the drive letters; C) how do I name a flash drive so each time it is plugged in, it shows the same letter?  Thanks,

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nicknax

nicknax

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi Ben.

Worth looking at TMS Stein's Backup site (Tips and Tricks - Managing drive letters), which runs you through a few options/senarios. (I assume Uwe Sieber's USB Drive Letter Manager is freeware for non-profits also). You might also try the solution here at ghacks.net (worth reading the comments also for some gotchas).

Chers, Nick

#3 benbrown1428

benbrown1428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for replying so fast Nick, this issue seems to be related to Qbooks. On the network side of things, I am asked for a username/password to access the other comps. Two of the comps are new from me, the oldest one is the server, and the router is new by me. I do not recall setting up any network passwords, and have tried admin/admin. Any Ideas here? It would be great if they could get files from one another without emailing.  The people at the nonprofit are not really comp efficient, so I work hard to make things as easy and familiar as I can.

I have started reading all the tutorials and such on this site, in a grand effort to teach myself comp repairs. I am learning quickly, this stuff is fascinating. Thanks again for the quick reply. I'll keep posting as I progress.

#4 nicknax

nicknax

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Networking's not my thing but at a pinch, have you tried Administrator, no password?

#5 benbrown1428

benbrown1428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Nicknax, bingo, that got it. The account says it is disabled. Again, not sure what that is about.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

You have to assign the drive a letter in disk management. Control Panel->Administrator Tools->Computer Management-> Disc Management should be at the bottom

Hope this works for you let us know

#7 nicknax

nicknax

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

The account says it is disabled. Again, not sure what that is about.

That's a simple Windows login you're doing there, as if you're sitting at that computer and have clicked on a 'User' icon on the Windows Welcome screen to logon to an account. In your case the Administrator account isn't active on the system you're trying to access so instead try the username and password you'd normally use.

Standard user accounts don't have the same permissions as the built-in "Administrator" account does, even if they're in the "Adminstrator group". Administrator is like a super-user account designed only to be used for specific tasks, and as such it's disabled by default.

If you want/need to use the Administrator account on a computer you have to first active it on that computer (see Microsoft's instructions here, also apply to Windows 7). If you do though remember to create a strong password (imo "long_and_easy-to-remember_password" will give you less grief than "$h0rtn$w33t") and not to use it as a day to day account (some of us learn that the hard way... :blink:)

You can also unhide the account to add it to the Welcome Screen but unless you frequently need to access it directly from the computer you're best off leaving it hidden and using it via the network when needed.

Btw, this page on TechRepublic has a few tips for QBooks you may find useful, and this from Microsoft about 'Remote Desktop Connections' is also worth a look. Good luck and enjoy. :)

Edited by nicknax, 09 January 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

Re networking, see http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/20438-win-xp-cannot-see-win-7-network-places.html .

Louis

#9 benbrown1428

benbrown1428
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:01 AM

Hey guys, OP here. Got the drives mapped, but a construction worker dropped a 2x4 on the external harddrive the following day, so now we are back to square one. Luckily, the backups that I had setup kept them from losing any data. Not even 1 check #, not one invoice. So, thru preparation, we got lucky. Sorry so long to post back, just been super busy. And every answer and link on here helped. This site and forum is amazing.

THANKS,

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users