Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Create A New Partition For A Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 got_rice111

got_rice111

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

ok guys heres the story

i just installed a new mobo, and because of that i have to reinstall windows xp again on my hard drive because it cant read it otherwise.
however, i have a lot of stuff on my hard drive still and i do not want to reformat it.

so i want to create a separate partition and install XP on there.

however, i am having problems with this.
when i entered windows setup, i got to this one screen where it told me to press "c" to create a new partition, but nothing happened when i pressed "c".
is there another way to partition my hard drive? like thru bios?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aljaud

Aljaud

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:22 AM

Well, usually when you install windows it creates a partition with the most space it can - Meaning no room for another. There are a few programs out there that can resize the partitions though..If its NTFS i dont know if you can get one that will do it for free, if its FAT32 it shouldnt be hard finding one. Just google NTFS or FAT32 Partition resizer :thumbsup: Hope that helps...But be careful, and backup your stuff before trying this, just incase.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:27 AM

Let me see if I have this right...you have two hdds, one is new and needs to be partitioned, and an old one that has information you wish to save/use.

I would retry installing the OS, sometimes strange things happen when you go to install programs, I had installed W2k and got to the point where it asked for my porduct key, but wouldn't recognize the correct code. I wiped the drive and tried it again without a hitch...things happen.

If you want to add a partition to the old hdd without loosing the old information there's a program call Partition Magic, and you can download it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Aljaud

Aljaud

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:34 AM

[quote name='dc3' date='Jun 21 2006, 11:27 PM' post='306773']
Let me see if I have this right...you have two hdds, one is new and needs to be partitioned, and an old one that has information you wish to save/use.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he has one, that is allready partitioned and only needs another partition in order for his comp to read the HD, instead of having to reformant.

If you want to add a partition to the old hdd without loosing the old information there's a program call Partition Magic, and you can download it here.
[/quote]
Thats only a demo, it only shows you HOW you can resize it. You have to buy it to use it :thumbsup:

#5 got_rice111

got_rice111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:06 AM

hey guys

i guess i didnt make it clean enough.

i can't even access that hard drive right now, so i cant get into XP and install programs on it.

is there any other way to partition it?

and i have already tried booting with XP cd, but like i said before, i couldnt partition from there.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:26 PM

OK, i understand that you have only one hard drive and that you want to partition it into two partitions. The trick is how to do this without destroying the data on the existing partition. The cleanest way is to use a program such as Partition Magic which runs in Windows. But, that means you have to have XP up and running again. You could do one of 2 things:

1) Reinstall your old mother board and the install and use Partition Magic. It is smart enough to not destroy any data.

2) Temporarily move your hard drive to another desktop system and install and run PM there. Move the drive back to the newe system.

Either way, make sure the new partition is set to be the "active" partition.

If you can install the drive on another desktop the you may as well back up your data there onto CDs or DVDs. Then you can use the XP install utilities to delete the old partition and then create 2 new ones. If you always keep your saved data on one partition then you will never have to face this problem again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users