Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista and Atheros AR5007EG wifi adapter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frogford

frogford

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

Hi all, used BC for a fair while, but its my first ever 'Help me' post !

I have a customer that has had an issue with their laptop (Toshiba Satellite L300)

The wifi hasn't worked for a while, was the best I could get out of the customer...

From what I can find, they have upgraded to Vista Service Pack 2 and it seemed to have screwed up the wifi.

So far I have managed to relocated the correct driver for the lan (wired wasn't working either)and have the laptop running through a wired connection, however I cannot get the Atheros AR5007EG driver to recognise ANY wireless SSID within its range. 

I have installed as many drivers as I can (9.2.0.480 was the latest driver I could find, but have used windows update, along with all the drivers on the Atheros.cz website) but it still will not find anything. I have a separate router with an open SSID (both in A and G) aswell as my secured 'N' router (which I also opened, to see if that would work), yet it cannot see diddlysquat!

I've tried turning the wifi card on and off through both Fn+F8 and the switch at the front, which has made no difference.

I've even changed the wireless card, to a different Atheros (ended UG, can't remember the part number!) and tried a Vigor N61, neither of these recognised anything either ?!?!

I really am stuck now as to where to go next (I bloody hate VISTA!!!)

Any ideas??? I'd be hugely greatful!

Cheers 

Andy :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

I am not sure if this is your problem but try the Microsoft Fixit. Vista sometimes has a hard time getting a DHCP address from routers. Have you tried putting in a static IP?

Just to confirm the chip. Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manger, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware ID's. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

When you right click on the adapter does it say it is functioning properly?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 January 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#3 tigercub61

tigercub61

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

I had this problem and it turned out to be an incorrect driver for the Atheros I downloaded direct from the Atheros website and it cured my problem

#4 frogford

frogford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:43 AM

Morning all, tried the windows Fixit, alas, no joy. It still cannot find any wifi SSID's within range?!??!

The only driver site I can find is the Atheros.CZ site, I'm assuming this is what your referring to Tigercub61? If it is I have tried every available driver from this site, and still no joy?!?!?

Cheers

Andy

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

I may be able to get a driver that will work but I need to confirm  the first line in Device Manager under Hardware ID's I requested in post#2.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 January 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#6 tigercub61

tigercub61

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:19 AM

I had this problem and it turned out to be an incorrect driver for the Atheros I downloaded direct from the Atheros website and it cured my problem

Morning all, tried the windows Fixit, alas, no joy. It still cannot find any wifi SSID's within range?!??!

The only driver site I can find is the Atheros.CZ site, I'm assuming this is what your referring to Tigercub61? If it is I have tried every available driver from this site, and still no joy?!?!?

Cheers

Andy

Yes that was the one:

https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=22&system=4

it was the only one I could find as well my problem occured after a reformat and I could not get internet to work at all on wi fi hard wired it was fine and I downloaded the driver form there and it sorted it .

But sometimes it is the windows net framework out of date that does it as well on the Bleeping Computer site is a driver update  tool try that one as it may auto downlaod the driver for you.

If you go into device manger and open the Atheros file you can ask it to update driver on there as well.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users