Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Drives.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sceadugenga

sceadugenga

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:11 AM

I was carrying on about a new USB stick with a claimed storage of 16gb that would not hold two movies of less than 10.

I was told to reformat the disk using FatX or something but I found an option of exFat that seems to have given me more space.

What's the story on this?

How does it work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:25 AM

Fat only has the ability to hold a certain size of files (The actual file size). Format it with NTFS if you want to use the full space. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:55 AM

exFAT is specifically designed for use on flash drives, but few people are aware of it. It's the native file system for SDXC cards. Your USB stick that could not accept 2 files just over 4GB each in size was almost certainly formatted as FAT32, which can only store files of less than 4GB. You should be able to happily use exFAT on the drive unless you encounter an Operating System that doesn't recognize it. Windows natively uses it from Vista on, XP requires a patch applied. Mac OS X supports exFAT from 10.6.6

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users