Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iiholly

iiholly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

So I have a Dell Computer with Windows 7 

I accidentally (and rather foolishly) installed something that looked like flashplayer. Ever since then adds have been popping up. I tried to work through Norton, and they tried to fix it remotely. They said they fix it for $40, and I am unfortunately very broke right now.  They said the issue may be zoomify? The ads seem to indicate they may be from zoomify. 

Anyways, I've been listening to the advice on this thread: 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561324/help-removing-zoomify/?hl=%2Bzoomify#entry3581468

So far I have these three scan logs: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.4.1 (12.28.2014:1)
Ran by user on Wed 01/07/2015 at 23:17:15.41

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

Successfully repaired: [Registry Value] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Default_Page_URL

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\update netcrawl

~~~ Files

Successfully deleted: [File] "C:\Users\user\desktop\system optimizer pro.lnk"
Successfully deleted: [File] "C:\Windows\wininit.ini"

~~~ Folders

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Users\user\appdata\local\pro_pc_cleaner"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Users\user\documents\propccleaner"

~~~ FireFox

Emptied folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\ue2y59xz.default\minidumps [2 files]

~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared

Scan was completed on Wed 01/07/2015 at 23:33:45.35
End of JRT log
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# Option : Scan

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17496

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v34.0.5 (x86 en-US)

-\\ Google Chrome v39.0.2171.95

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [4685 octets] - [07/01/2015 20:11:15]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [710 octets] - [07/01/2015 23:18:56]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [4622 octets] - [07/01/2015 20:15:25]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [829 octets] ##########

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.4.1 (12.28.2014:1)
Ran by user on Wed 01/07/2015 at 23:17:15.41

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

Successfully repaired: [Registry Value] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Default_Page_URL

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\update netcrawl

~~~ Files

Successfully deleted: [File] "C:\Users\user\desktop\system optimizer pro.lnk"
Successfully deleted: [File] "C:\Windows\wininit.ini"

~~~ Folders

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Users\user\appdata\local\pro_pc_cleaner"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Users\user\documents\propccleaner"

~~~ FireFox

Emptied folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\ue2y59xz.default\minidumps [2 files]

~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared

Scan was completed on Wed 01/07/2015 at 23:33:45.35
End of JRT log

So now what? 

The adds are still popping up like crazy by the way. I'm going to try to restart now to see if it makes any difference. 

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2015 - 01:41 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

START HERE >> Please list your main Internet Browser (I.E. / Firefox / Chrome / or another browser)

We can reset and even Reinstall as is required ................

Take a great deal of notice from the external links left by quietman7

In many cases these issues are the result of unwanted toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, and browser extensions which come bundled with other free software (often without the knowledge or consent of the user). They can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page/search engine, and cause user profile corruption.

As such they are generally classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and many of them can be removed from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first. With most adware/junkware it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo will do a more thorough job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) to fix any remaining entries they may find. These tools typically find and remove related registry entries, files and folders to include those within the AppData folder and elsewhere.

Note: Some programs can be difficult to remove completely due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

Remove anything else (newly installed programs) you do not recognize.

The next place to check is your browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins.

To reset the browser home page if it was changed, please refer to:

#3 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

You have gone into a very deep malware trap fake flash players are annoying

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#4 iiholly

iiholly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

Yeah, I had already checked the plug-ins and extensions on all browsers. And reset the web browsers. This is what norton wasted a long time doing while I watched despite me *specificying* I'd already done so.

I actually resolved the issue last night by using Marlware Bytes Anti-Malware. That was the one I hadn't tried yet that was recommended by the post, and it turned out to be the one that worked. 

Thank you so much for your replies. 

Thanks, 

Holly 

#5 iiholly

iiholly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

Oh also the RKill, killed 5 processes that I couldn't end without them starting back up. They were called coz something. It was really nasty. So glad for the computer back up and running again. 

Thanks again! 

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hi Holly -

Please post back here if you do have more pf the same problems in the next few days, otherwise please start a fresh topic.

Thank You ......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users