Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Start (dell inspiron 519)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jgill

Jgill

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

Good evening and thank you in advance for any help offered.  I'm throwing out the disclaimer that I am rusty in the computer world.  I have been in the mountains for a few years and I'm just getting reconnected. 

I recently acquried a hand-me-down Dell Inspiron 519. My goal with this computer is to run a facebook page for business (eventually a more sophisticated website) and maybe watch movies. Along with the online activities I would like to run my business and store the infromation. 

I'm looking for some assistance in trimming the fat already on the computer and not relavant. I would also like to make it as secure as possible to proctect any consumer information.  The computer did belong to a real estate agent so I'm sure there are some files and programs that just dont need to be there. 

If this is a problem you would like to tackle please let me know. And again thank you in advance.

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

The best thing to do is start from scratch. You would need to reformat (Wipe out the drive and reinstall windows). What is the OS on this computer? If Windows 7, most Dell PCs have a recovery partition to wipe it back to factory defaults, thus getting rid of all the data. If not, you should be able to download a copy of your version of windows from Microsofts ISO Bank and burn the image file to a disk (Instructions are on Microsofts ISO Bank site). Then use the product key on the side/underside of the computer to re-activate windows. But lets start with what version of windows is on there now?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Jgill

Jgill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

Its Vista.  2007 says service pack 2.  I'm not that well versed but I am weary of the thought of being too bold.  I'm not sure I want to wipe it out completly and hope I can get it back. But I'm sure you would know better than I.

Justin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users