Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a RAID 10 array on 4 hdds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chopsicle

Chopsicle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

Hello, I have a computer that has 4x 300BG hard drives i'm trying to create a RAID 10 system out of.

I have assembled everything in an imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/U7hAI

I run into a problem (picture #s 9 -->8 -->7, in the order the screens appear as you press enter). The drives as they are connected don't seem to be recognized in the first place? And this means I can't configure RAID 10.

I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look and point out any glaring errors or at least offer some advice to troubleshoot this further. Pictures 1-3 show how the connections are arranged. The hard drives are connected to the RAID controller by a Discrete SATA to SFF-8087 Mini SAS Reverse breakout cable. The disk drive is connected directly to the motherboard. All parts are HP so hardware compatibility is not something i'm considering to be an issue.

Thank you a ton in advance! I'll keep up with replies as soon as possible. If there's any other information necessary I will provide edits of course.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

According to a manual for the controller you cannot mix and match SAS and SATA drives.

You must use 512k byte LBA mode drives and not the newer 4096 byte drives. (physical)

I am not an expert on Raid but from what I read about the controller you have and your current setup .. herein lies your problem.

If I mis read the manual .. you could post a link to the manual for your controller as the one I found may not be for the one your using

#3 Chopsicle

Chopsicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

According to a manual for the controller you cannot mix and match SAS and SATA drives.

You must use 512k byte LBA mode drives and not the newer 4096 byte drives. (physical)

I am not an expert on Raid but from what I read about the controller you have and your current setup .. herein lies your problem.

If I mis read the manual .. you could post a link to the manual for your controller as the one I found may not be for the one your using

Hmm ok this is new to me, I haven't looked that in depth at the manual and this seems a bit above my head at the moment. Could you elaborate on the  reason for the use of the mode drives vs the 4096 byte drives? I currently have 4 Fujitsu MBA3300RC 300GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822116058

I was under the impression that the physical connection wouldn't be a problem? I will try and read more myself..

Here is the manual for the controller I am using (It is a HP Smart Array P410 SAS RAID Controller): 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=3883890&ac.admitted=1420680716593.876444892.199480143#manuals

Thanks

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Hello.

I apologize for some reason I read SAS and then saw SATA and thought you were mixing drive types. 

I see now from the pictures and what you stated your simply trying to setup the Raid Array for the first time.

I have only setup RAID once and it was on the motherboard controller so I probably shouldn't advise further.

Again I apologize. .. I hope a Raid Pro comes around to help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users