Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Don't Some WIN95 Games Work On WIN3.1?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

Why did some games from the mid-90's era support only Windows 95 when some of those games look like games that could fit well on Windows 3.1?

Is it a 16-bit/32-bit issue or something else, or do some companies engineer their games to fit on 95 for commercial reasons?

One example I'm reffering to is the game "Evolution: The Game of Intelligent Life." It seems to have memory compatibility and doesn't require Direct3D, so then why is Windows 95 required?

I was just hoping someone could clarify this because I like the 90's era and was just curious why this was the case.

And was their some way to actually engineer Win95 games to work on Win3.1?

THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Many aspects of programs, including games, are implemented by making calls to the Windows API (Application Programming Interface). As Windows progresses through version updates, the API will include new functions not provided by older versions. So an application specifically developed to run on Windows 95 almost certainly takes advantage of new API functions that do not exist in the Windows 3.1 API, so cannot run under that OS.

I can't say if anyone ever developed any way around this, as the missing API functions would have to be reverse engineered into a custom .DLL and the program modified to make the calls to it. It would be a difficult project, and to be done legally would have to be creating new original code to perform the API functions (clean room development).

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users