Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Might be damaged?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MADDxDOGG

MADDxDOGG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

I have a AMD Phenom ii x4 965 and i cleaned my pc out well when i lifted the heat sink the processor came with it.. the computer runs and i notice no problems besides when i load a game it stutters really bad every few seconds.. never used to do that.

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2015 - 03:37 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

You may have bent pins when pulling the cpu out, very carefully remove the cpu and heat sync and look at the bottom of the cpu for any bent pins, you may be able to bend them back (use extreme caution), then put the cpu back in.

Some OS related signs of bent pins are: incorrect reported ram, incorrect clock speeds or crahses...

If every pin looks ok, you may just have a heat related issue.

Here are some examples of bent pins:

http://nerdbacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/card-for-pins.jpg

Sometimes it helps to hold the cpu this way and peer through the rows to catch any that are slightly bent: http://www.rlocman.ru/i/Image/2010/09/29/image001.jpg    Rotate the cpu 90 degrees to see all rows.

The old fashion bic mechanical pencil might help fix bent pins: http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u112496/bent_pins.jpg

Just note that you risk breaking a pin off if you bend them at all even trying to bend them back. I have succesfully bent pins back a few times but those generally were not terribly bent. It really depends on how bad it is.

Edited by zingo156, 07 January 2015 - 04:32 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

You can try the card trick (if the card fits without force between a row): http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Bent-Pins-on-a-CPU

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

A few things from experience: I find a very small tweezers the easiest way to fix pins that are very bent or almost flat against the cpu, also the pins bend very easily so go slow and steady.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

I have found a good magnifying glass really helps to see bent pins; sometimes it can be really hard, you have to look at the pins from a couple of angles to see which aren't straight.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users