Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure of problem with Win10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mmmdraco

mmmdraco

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

My Toshiba Satellite that ran for close to two years on Win8 with no problems suddenly wouldn't function with it at all (even with repairs and several reinstalls), to the point that the company I had my warranty through paid me out for the laptop, so I tried installing the Win10 tech preview instead which worked fine for months. However, right after the latest update I let my mom use my laptop to check her email and suddenly my desktop icons don't show, my start menu and taskbar don't work, and none of my apps work.

I've tried editing the registry where recommended for when this is caused by a virus. I've used UnHide (which only temporarily brings back the desktop icons and nothing else). I've run scans with both MalwareBytes and Avast (including a boot scan). I attempted to do a system restore, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I refreshed the computer, but it doesn't seem to have actually worked. I can get to the menu where I can tell my comp to boot in safe mode, but it won't let me actually enter any commands at that point. 

At this point, I'm not even sure what is actually causing the problem. My mother is one of those people who is perfectly happy to click on everything that seems to good to be true, so I wouldn't doubt virus, but since this particular laptop had problems with another operating system, I know it could be the hardware rather than the software. And, with that latest update, I know it could also be that. (I did follow the option to uninstall the Tech Preview updates, but like the other troubleshooting things, it doesn't seem to have worked.) 

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do here to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

Ways to fix it no ; But reasons ??

My Toshiba Satellite that ran for close to two years on Win8 with no problems suddenly wouldn't function with it at all (even with repairs and several reinstalls), to the point that the company I had my warranty through paid me out for the laptop, so I tried installing the Win10 tech preview instead which worked fine for months. However, right after the latest update I let my mom use my laptop to check her email and suddenly my desktop icons don't show, my start menu and taskbar don't work, and none of my apps work.

You gave no reasons for the Windows 8 failure ; Simple infections can be removed ; HDD failures can have a new part installed ; So why did they pay you for a "good computer" ??

Start with that reason and walk us backwards. Is this how and what you know about the earlier failure and there may be answers there .........

(Example only) If I broke the motor of my new car, insurance would pay out on it, but if I add 2 new spark plugs it will not "fix it", because the insurance company would have done that...

What I am saying is How, When, Where and What were your earlier problems that could not be fixed ??

#3 mmmdraco

mmmdraco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

I don't actually know the reason for that. I know that my computer suddenly wanted to get stuck "resolving problems" and often even 24 hours wouldn't make anything progress. It also had a crack in the case and a scratch on the screen, so I sent it in for repairs. It came back with a new case and had had the system either set to factory or reinstalled. Unfortunately, later that day, I rebooted and it did the same thing of saying it was resolving problems and never getting there. They also hadn't repaired the scratch on my screen. I sent it back again, and got it back the same way. At that point, it had been out of function for a month, so that's when they made the choice to just pay me out for it, though it was more specifically for the fact that they'd neglected to fix the screen multiple times, I think. Either way, once I installed Win10, that was a problem I no longer had.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

though it was more specifically for the fact that they'd neglected to fix the screen multiple times

How did the scratch on the screen get there? If it was there when you first got the laptop then yes they should repair it under warranty, However if the screen got scratched once you took the laptop out of the box by what ever means, How is that a warranty job?

#5 mmmdraco

mmmdraco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Because it was an extended warranty which actually covers that sort of thing. The initial one year warranty from Toshiba wouldn't cover it, but the extended one I bought did. It was just that they kept neglecting to actually fix that problem.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

Thank you for clearing that up, I always say no to Extended warranty, I may look into it when I buy my next new electronic gizmo. That's what I would call insurance not warranty,

Edited by NickAu, 07 January 2015 - 07:48 PM.

#7 mmmdraco

mmmdraco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

I have a four year old son and I also have multiple sclerosis and sometimes have trouble feeling things, so its always worth it for me to pay an extra $30 for an extended warranty, especially since some of them don't kick in until the initial warranty runs out.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:01 AM

Start with the basis of the program is NOT a full operating system, but just a Trial Version of something that will be changed .........

I posted this when another user wanted to know why certain programs would not operate as with Windows 8 .........

Posted Here <<<

Posted by Tina Sieber

Some users reported it takes a long time to start up, others noticed that the new Continuum feature doesn’t work flawlessly all the time, and apparently some modern apps fail to function properly. The video above highlights a number of other issues that might be due to the hardware being used. For a test version, that’s normal!
(My Bolding only) It Won’t Support All Hardware & Software
Windows TP was designed with modern hardware in mind and comes preloaded with a limited number of drivers. Remember that it’s an evaluation copy for enterprise users. They are using Windows 10 TP to examine compatibility with their existing setup and to make requests to Microsoft for changes. As a result, Windows 10 will go through a number of changes before its final release in mid-late 2015. A Developer Preview of Windows 10, based on which new software and hardware drivers will be developed, is expected to be available for Microsoft’s Build conference in April 2015.

(TP = Technicians or Technical Preview only)

First it is not meant to be a Final Version of this version.

Second they admit there are bugs in the offered version, and it is only for testing, and no more ..........

#9 mmmdraco

mmmdraco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

This thread was not to talk about my warranty or to complain about programs not working with Win10. It was to help determine whether Win10 was, itself, part of the problem I was experiencing, or if there was another cause that could actually be fixed. The only things I've had not work are things integrated into the system itself like how my computer won't properly do a refresh. However, as I do have the possibility of having a virus, particularly as anti-virus software can't be guaranteed to work with Win10, and as this particular computer has had previous problems with another OS, it seemed like a good idea to try to find out if, perhaps, other people were having this problem. The problems I'm having are not temporary failures, but continued ones that indicate more of an actual problem. 

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

just a wild guess[based some what on experience ]you have hardware issue ,likely the HDD

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users